Placement Date Phase 2

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Placement Date Phase 2

Postby kbl2017 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm

Just wanted to share this tidbit, so SF's have 120 days after degree conferral (generally 30-45 days after graduation) to outplace you into a job. So basically you could graduate in May and not be working until October. It probably won't be quite as long, but personally I'm planning for it.
kbl2017

Re: Placement Date Phase 2

Postby amiSMARTyet » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Does it usually take that long for them to bring you on though? I'm looking at joining the reserves and I could use that time to get my training in before I start. Making the best of it I guess...
amiSMARTyet

Postby Guest1234567 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:43 pm

My degree conferral date was the first week of May when I graduated years ago. I didn't get to start working at my SF until the last week of October. So... Probably a good idea to plan for it taking time. The HR and hiring processes take a while and there really isn't a good reason to explain why it takes so long.
Guest1234567

Postby MyExperience » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm

I would definitely plan for this gap, because from reading posts here it seems like not all SF's are proactive, however, I was given the opportunity to start within 2 weeks of degree completion (before graduation and conferral). I asked for a letter from my university saying I had completed all of my requirements. That allowed my SF to start the process earlier. Otherwise, I would have had to wait for 8 weeks before my school sent a transcript with the degree conferral.

amiSMARTyet wrote:Does it usually take that long for them to bring you on though? I'm looking at joining the reserves and I could use that time to get my training in before I start. Making the best of it I guess...

I was given the opportunity to negotiate my start date after they made me an offer. If you are upfront with your SF with this plan then you could likely have a later start date to do this training.
MyExperience

Return to Recipients