Able to take community college classes over the summer?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
guest_12

Able to take community college classes over the summer?

Post by guest_12 »

Hi all,

Recent SMART program enrollee (i.e. 2018 cohort member) here who is trying to get a better grasp of what you can and cannot do academically while enrolled in the program.

I'm interested in enrolling in a couple liberal arts courses at my local community college this summer (for personal enrichment/pursuit of interests). With this being said, I am going to pay for the courses entirely out of my own pocket and have no real interest in applying the credits earned towards my degree.

Does anyone know if this is allowed by the program? I did my best to sort it all out with the handbook but there didn't seem to be any useful information regarding this topic.

Thanks in advance for any assistant or insight!

currentsmart

Re: Able to take community college classes over the summer?

Post by currentsmart »

Technically, the scholarship period does not start until August, so you are free to take classes this summer without an issue. And I am pretty sure (someone correct me if I am wrong) you can take classes on your own accord if you pay for them. The issues begin if you need SMART to pay for them, but people have gotten approval for necessary summer courses before.

Smart_cs

Post by Smart_cs »

That’s not true. I took classes before my scholarship “officially”
Started and I got in trouble for it. Also, you cannot take classes without approval even if they are not paying for it.

Post by Guest »

If this is before you even start the scholarship, I would just take them and tell smart to mind their own **** business if they ask. A better question is how would they even find out?

RoboBronco

Post by RoboBronco »

I am also a 2018 cohort and am taking 10 classes this summer (being paid for by previous scholarships). I already asked permission and they said they don't care what I do until August.