Repayment Breakdown

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Repayment Breakdown

Postby guestt » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:26 am

Has anyone that has obtained a debt letter from DFAS obtained a breakdown of their bill?
Does the amount correspond to what you expected?
guestt

Re: Repayment Breakdown

Postby mystery123 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes-- I guess it was what I was expecting - tuition, stipend, book allowances-- the summer pay is not being collected. there are also no fees/interest
mystery123

Postby Arbiter » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:14 pm

What is the timeframe you have to pay back?
Are they monthly payments - if so, what are they?
Any grace period?
Arbiter

Postby Question » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:36 am

mystery123 wrote:Yes-- I guess it was what I was expecting - tuition, stipend, book allowances-- the summer pay is not being collected. there are also no fees/interest

The summer pay that is not being collected, is that just the support payments or the portion of the stipend from the summer, too?
Question

Postby guesttt123 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:01 pm

mystery123 wrote:Yes-- I guess it was what I was expecting - tuition, stipend, book allowances-- the summer pay is not being collected. there are also no fees/interest

Are these separate items on your DFAS debt letter? Does it explicitly mention these items or does it simply say SMT Smart Scholarship?
guesttt123

Postby mystery123 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 am

I had to request the breakdown, so it is separate from the DFAS letter. I requested in through the DFAS online portal under "misc misc". My original letter just said SMT SMART like the others.

Just the summer support payments (the 1200/week) are not being collected. Full regular stipend is being collected (so 25k/year for me).

Monthly payments for me are the total amount divided by 36 (so 3 years payback time). However, like others have said if you call DFAS they will tell you you can start paying less than that and request a lower payback program amount.
mystery123

Return to Recipients