Living Stipend

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
gingersnap

Living Stipend

Post by gingersnap »

I know on our service agreement forms it lists what our weekly living stipend is for summer internships, but how do I find out what my living stipend for during the academic year is?

Hellotehe

Re: Living Stipend

Post by Hellotehe »

gingersnap wrote:I know on our service agreement forms it lists what our weekly living stipend is for summer internships, but how do I find out what my living stipend for during the academic year is?
It should be on your award document. The one that states your SF and such. PhD’s get 38,000, Masters get 32,000 (?), and not sure for Bachelors but think it’s arojnd $24,000 a year.

Guestchris

Post by Guestchris »

Bachelors is 25k

gingersnap

Post by gingersnap »

Is the living stipend just for things like rent, utilities, and groceries or is part of it put up for tuition and other education related expenses? In other words, how do I figure out what I'll be given each month so I can pay my rent?

GuEsT0102

Post by GuEsT0102 »

gingersnap wrote:Is the living stipend just for things like rent, utilities, and groceries or is part of it put up for tuition and other education related expenses? In other words, how do I figure out what I'll be given each month so I can pay my rent?
You should receive your stipend totaling to 25k, 32k, or 38k annually. If your residence is a certain number of miles from your SF, you will receive ADDITIONAL funding for the summer. I believe its 1k/wk. So for summers, expect to make an extra 4k/mo in addition to your award money.

currentsmart

Post by currentsmart »

SMART will pay your tuition all at once each semester, but your living stipend will come once a month. Just divide the total amount by 12. You will have to pay estimated tax on your stipend, and should save money every month for that. Once a year, you also get a technology and health stipend (totaling $2,200- which you also pay taxes on). If you live more than 50 miles from the SF, you get an additional $1000 per week of internship, which is paid in three payments on top of the stipend during summer months.

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

Masters is $33,000/yr