Internship Support Payment Eligibility

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Newport

Internship Support Payment Eligibility

Post by Newport »

After submitting an the internship request form, I received an email saying after my forms were reviewed I would receive an email detailing my "potential eligibility for internship support payments." In my award documents the box for "Eligible for Internship Support" is checked, and my school/home address is about 75 miles from my SF.

That being said, when have past recipients been informed that they would be eligible for internship support? I've seen in other threads that the first part of the payments are included in the April stipend, but did you know beforehand that you would be receiving that payment?

I have two reasons for asking: First, I need to buy a car for the summer and having an extra $1000 a week (before taxes) would increase my budget. Second, I need to make quarterly payments and I'd like to do so with an estimate of what I will make in total from SMART this year. Have recipients in the past made quarterly payments of differing amounts each quarter because of the internship support payments?

I know it seems logical that I would be eligible for ISPs given my address is more than 50 miles from my SF, but it would be great to confirm. When I went for orientation I was expecting the full $2000 (based of threads here) but received $500 instead. That wasn't a big deal, but it has me wondering if ISPs may be adjusted as well, given the recent change to LMI. Any input would be greatly appreciated!