Graduate Students

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
guest2863

Graduate Students

Post by guest2863 »

Has anyone else had issues with LMI on award extensions? I extended my award only a semester, because we all know how research can be. They approve of the extension, and then gave me a week to do the internship paperwork. My SF and I weren't able to turn it in on time due to the hiring process and giving me dates to work. I defend in April but my university won't award my degree until August (hence, the need for an award extension). Although the degree would be finished after the defense, they won't hire me full time without the degree being conferred and apparently paperwork proving your defense completion and course work completion isn't enough. So here I am getting hammered by LMI of why I needed the award extension and an internship "because I should be taking course work", and was told I'm in non-compliance for something out of my control. I have explained this to them 4 times but instead was penalized for it. It seems to me SMART doesn't understand how graduate school works and lately quick to dismiss people from the program. Anyone else having these issues? Also does anyone know how long you're in non-compliance before you're dismissed?

guest2863

Re: Graduate Students

Post by guest2863 »

guest2863 wrote:Has anyone else had issues with LMI on award extensions? I extended my award only a semester, because we all know how research can be. They approve of the extension, and then gave me a week to do the internship paperwork. My SF and I weren't able to turn it in on time due to the hiring process and giving me dates to work. I defend in April but my university won't award my degree until August (hence, the need for an award extension). Although the degree would be finished after the defense, they won't hire me full time without the degree being conferred and apparently paperwork proving your defense completion and course work completion isn't enough. So here I am getting hammered by LMI of why I needed the award extension and an internship "because I should be taking course work", and was told I'm in non-compliance for something out of my control. I have explained this to them 4 times but instead was penalized for it. It seems to me SMART doesn't understand how graduate school works and lately quick to dismiss people from the program. Anyone else having these issues? Also does anyone know how long you're in non-compliance before you're dismissed?
I also legit had to explain how a committee and a defense works too. Don't award MS and PhD if you don't understand the process.