Clearance Denied?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest44

Clearance Denied?

Post by Guest44 »

I think I'm in a bit of a unique position here – 
I have plenty of relatives living in the middle east and also served in a foreign military in the middle east.
The country is allied with the United States.

I still haven't received my interim clearance and I was wondering if there was a "safe" date I could say if I hadn't gotten it by then, then I probably got denied?

Just wondering because I need to sublet my room if I'm not denied and the date is approaching + make accommodation plans for my SF.

I'm supposed to start my internship at my SF 5/20/18.

Any ideas?

guest642

Re: Clearance Denied?

Post by guest642 »

SMART SHOULD let you know two months before your start date if you have not received your interim clearance. Your internship request form gives SMART the contact of the security office to call to check on your clearance. SMART should tell you when that form is approved. If its approved, you don't have a clearance issue. If you haven't heard by then, contact SMART. It is possible you may not need an interim clearance, but you will more than likely.

There has been a lot of issues with interim clearances this year because the SF are now responsible for the clearances instead of smart. If you are denied, it may not be because of your family. I was denied initially due to a misunderstanding between SMART and my SF, but I had it sorted out.