ASEE vs LMI Funding Issue

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
KY502

ASEE vs LMI Funding Issue

Post by KY502 »

My school runs on a coop schedule, so I am interning this semester and going to school summer and Fall.

I have an alternately timed internship request from the ASEE time approving the switch and marking there is no cost change. I also have endless email streams with ASEE of them instructing me on how to handle to coop situation and that it didn't change the award.

LMI emailed me today saying I need to fill out another request so I can apply for "additional tuition" to attend school this summer. They are arguing the SAAR only gave me permission to work at a different time not receive "additional funds". But the approved form clearly has the "no change in award cost" box checked.

Has anyone else had an issue of LMI not honoring what ASEE approved in the past? I am unsure what I will do if they don't "approve additional funding" for me to go to school...

GuestM

Re: ASEE vs LMI Funding Issue

Post by GuestM »

I had sort of the same issue since my school required a summer field class. Even though the cost won't be different, the additional funding (from my understanding) was just to request a tuition payment at a non-traditional time. They normally only pay out tuition bills in August and January to start each semester so they want to be aware of and approve any payment outside the normal times.

malarious

Re: ASEE vs LMI Funding Issue

Post by malarious »

Correct.

Attending outside the two normal semesters requires a request for additional tuition. The prior form changed your internship stuff. You need a second request for tuition. I have no idea why they do it this way.