Did anyone else get a random email about collection?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
wtfemail

Did anyone else get a random email about collection?

Post by wtfemail »

Did anyone else get this??? I'm very confused because I've gotten no notice of there being any issues...
Dear SMART Scholar,

This email is to inform you that the SMART Scholarship Program will commence collection on default cases within the next 30 days.

Individuals who have defaulted on the SMART scholarship by not completing their academic pursuit or not completing their service commitment are accountable for repayment of funds expended on their behalf by the government through the scholarship.

Notifications will be mailed by the Components to those scholars who are in a default status. Please note that any questions need to be directed to the points of contact in the notification letter. SMART Program staff is not authorized to speak on behalf of the Components, and therefore cannot answer questions regarding the collection of debt owed to the government.

MeToo

Re: Did anyone else get a random email about collection?

Post by MeToo »

Yeah I got this email too... It was quite vague. I don't know if I was booted from the program or not???

Senttoall

Post by Senttoall »

MeToo wrote:Yeah I got this email too... It was quite vague. I don't know if I was booted from the program or not???
lmi just replied, they said it was sent to everyone. Phew.

phase 2 participant

Post by phase 2 participant »

I'm sure this just went out to all phase 1 and 2 participants (don't know about phase 3). Unless you get an actual collection letter don't worry about it.

Wonder

Post by Wonder »

I wonder if they did this because of all the talk about collection in the forum?

Phase3

Post by Phase3 »

Phase three people got the email as well, FYI.

notme

Post by notme »

I didn't get anything. That's strange

notme2

Post by notme2 »

notme wrote:I didn't get anything. That's strange
Same here

User111

Post by User111 »

Sure did. Scared the heck outta me at dinner.

notmeeither

Post by notmeeither »

I didn't receive one either. is this a bad sign???

Post by Guest »

notmeeither wrote:I didn't receive one either. is this a bad sign???
I didn’t get one either. I’d expect it’s a good sign to not receive an email about defaulting.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

I received the email, but I'm for sure still part of the program. Those who didn't receive it are probably going to on a second round or are part of a branch who's liaison hasn't sent them yet. I'm 99% sure our service liaison is responsible for sending the emails.

didnteither

Post by didnteither »

Guest wrote:
notmeeither wrote:I didn't receive one either. is this a bad sign???
I didn’t get one either. I’d expect it’s a good sign to not receive an email about defaulting.
I'd assume it's a good thing, especially since my payment was posted today. still makes me wonder what the hell is going down

superguest

Post by superguest »

i didn't get the email. feeling very left out. maybe i am kicked out of the program. does that mean i can sleep now?

to any who send repayment checks to the MAN, can you update the rest of us on the details?

also, very disappointed the LMI email didn't end with "would be a shame if something happened to that pretty little degree of yours"