Internship

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest1111

Internship

Post by Guest1111 »

Just a question regarding internships for this summer. I'm sure I was told before, but I forgot this detail. Are the summer internships paid, or are we just receiving our regular stipends?

anon5

Re: Internship

Post by anon5 »

What if you live within 50 miles? Has anyone gotten paid anything for that?

internship

Post by internship »

If you live outside of 50 miles from the SF, you will receive a support stipend of $1,000 per week on top of the regular stipend. If you live within 50 miles, you just receive the regular stipend.

Guest1111

Post by Guest1111 »

How long are all your internships? I mean I'm not trying to complain about the experience, but 12 weeks seems like a long time for me... Little to no time to travel this summer :/

internship

Post by internship »

Mine is only 8 weeks! I'm not sure how the timing is decided.

internships

Post by internships »

Guest1111 wrote:How long are all your internships? I mean I'm not trying to complain about the experience, but 12 weeks seems like a long time for me... Little to no time to travel this summer :/
12 weeks is hardly enough time to do meaningful work...I collaborate with my SF year-round because of it, but I also live nearby.

The only way you can be excused from the internship requirement is if you have some other beneficial thing going on in the summer, and the SF approves to waive it.

Guest1111

Post by Guest1111 »

I'm not trying to get excused... I'm just trying to have a break from school/work this summer lol

ky502

Post by ky502 »

Guest1111 wrote:I'm not trying to get excused... I'm just trying to have a break from school/work this summer lol
At my SF, I told them my dates. I could have told them 8 weeks but I choose 12. I even go to choose the start day.

I truly believe 8 weeks is too short for you to learn or accomplish anything. I have been here for 11, and there are still people I haven't met, projects I haven't completed, projects I haven't started learning about, and heck even rooms I haven't been in. It took 3.5 weeks alone for my network access to be set up! And I have been told that is common especially in my branch If you really want to learn or accomplish anything, you should try for a longer internship.

Plus depending on when your school ends and starts you, you should have at least a few weeks. If I was doing my internship in the summer, I would still have a 4 weeks off with a 12 week internship. Even if you only got only 2 or 3 weeks, that's more than enough time to sleep in or travel.

ky502

Post by ky502 »

ky502 wrote:
Guest1111 wrote:I'm not trying to get excused... I'm just trying to have a break from school/work this summer lol
At my SF, I told them my dates. I could have told them 8 weeks but I choose 12. I even got to choose the start day.

I truly believe 8 weeks is too short for you to learn or accomplish anything. I have been here for 11, and there are still people I haven't met, projects I haven't completed, projects I haven't started learning about, and heck even rooms I haven't been in. It took 3.5 weeks alone for my network access to be set up! And I have been told that is common especially in my branch. If you really want to learn or accomplish anything, you should try for a longer internship.

Plus depending on when your school ends and starts, you should have at least a few weeks. If I was doing my internship in the summer, I would still have a 4 weeks off with a 12 week internship. Even if you only got only 2 or 3 weeks, that's more than enough time to sleep in or travel.
Please excuse the typos. Should've read through it again.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Mine was scheduled for me. It's 10 weeks, we had no say at our SF. I ended up with most of May and half of August off with how my school runs classes. We have a lot of interns though half from SMART and half from somewhere else.

Post by Guest »

ky502 wrote:
ky502 wrote:
At my SF, I told them my dates. I could have told them 8 weeks but I choose 12. I even got to choose the start day.

I truly believe 8 weeks is too short for you to learn or accomplish anything. I have been here for 11, and there are still people I haven't met, projects I haven't completed, projects I haven't started learning about, and heck even rooms I haven't been in. It took 3.5 weeks alone for my network access to be set up! And I have been told that is common especially in my branch. If you really want to learn or accomplish anything, you should try for a longer internship.

Plus depending on when your school ends and starts, you should have at least a few weeks. If I was doing my internship in the summer, I would still have a 4 weeks off with a 12 week internship. Even if you only got only 2 or 3 weeks, that's more than enough time to sleep in or travel.
Please excuse the typos. Should've read through it again.
I did a 9 week internship last summer and me and the other intern didn't get network access at all because of some issues with IT.