Summer school

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Summer school

Postby guest67 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am

I want to take a class at night during my internship.

Is there any way to do this and have SMART pay for it?
Who would I need to speak to/how could I do this?
Thanks!
guest67
 

Re: Summer school

Postby kbl2017 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 am

Want to or need to?

If it isnt a degree requirement they're going to need proof of Why This is beneficial to your future work at your SF before they'd even consider it.

If it's a required class you'll have to justify why you have to take it in the summer and not during a semester.

My guess is they're going to say No. Since it's in the handbook that we can't take summer classes.
kbl2017
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Re: Summer school

Postby Zakaria1248 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

If approved, taking summer courses will add 6 months to your phase 2 commitment.
Zakaria1248
 

Re: Summer school

Postby whyyyyyyy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Zakaria1248 wrote:If approved, taking summer courses will add 6 months to your phase 2 commitment.

where does it say this??
whyyyyyyy
 

Re: Summer school

Postby Guest1234 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

whyyyyyyy wrote:
Zakaria1248 wrote:If approved, taking summer courses will add 6 months to your phase 2 commitment.

where does it say this??


The handbook doesn't list any of these special cases and SMART doesn't advertise the commitment extensions. Essentially you are taking a semester of courses that SMART didn't approve during the award process. In their eyes, that extra semester rounds up to 6 more months of a commitment.
Guest1234
 

Re: Summer school

Postby smartapplicant2018 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 pm

I had a similar question. I just received the Award Notification last week. I was wondering if I would be allowed to take two summer classes in order to lighten my workload for next semester. I would not need SMART to pay for these classes, but I was concerned that they wouldn't want me to take summer classes because the grades would not be on my spring transcript that I have to submit as part of phase zero. Does anyone know if taking these summer classes is allowed or if I should reach out to SMART directly and ask them? Thanks!
smartapplicant2018
 

Re: Summer school

Postby GuestM » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 pm

smartapplicant2018 wrote:I had a similar question. I just received the Award Notification last week. I was wondering if I would be allowed to take two summer classes in order to lighten my workload for next semester. I would not need SMART to pay for these classes, but I was concerned that they wouldn't want me to take summer classes because the grades would not be on my spring transcript that I have to submit as part of phase zero. Does anyone know if taking these summer classes is allowed or if I should reach out to SMART directly and ask them? Thanks!

If they're not paying for it and you take them this summer when you aren't going to have a required internship with your SF that's totally fine. The transcripts are just to make sure you stay above a 3.0 at the end of every semester.
GuestM
 

Re: Summer school

Postby smartapplicant2018 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Ok. Thank you very much!
smartapplicant2018
 


Return to Recipients

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Welcome. The Unofficial SMART Scholarship Forum is fully supported through this banner add. In the past, I have relied on this income to pay for all hosting and domain charges, but it has only covered half of my expenses in recent years. If this is the first time you are seeing a banner here, it is because an adblocker has prevented it from appearing (I don't blame you). If you have found this forum valuable, I would appreciate it if you consider supporting its upkeep.

Thank you for being a part of this community.

-Chris