Summer school

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Summer school

Postby guest67 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am

I want to take a class at night during my internship.

Is there any way to do this and have SMART pay for it?
Who would I need to speak to/how could I do this?
Thanks!
guest67

Re: Summer school

Postby kbl2017 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 am

Want to or need to?

If it isnt a degree requirement they're going to need proof of Why This is beneficial to your future work at your SF before they'd even consider it.

If it's a required class you'll have to justify why you have to take it in the summer and not during a semester.

My guess is they're going to say No. Since it's in the handbook that we can't take summer classes.
kbl2017

Postby Zakaria1248 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm

If approved, taking summer courses will add 6 months to your phase 2 commitment.
Zakaria1248

Postby whyyyyyyy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Zakaria1248 wrote:If approved, taking summer courses will add 6 months to your phase 2 commitment.

where does it say this??
whyyyyyyy

Postby Guest1234 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

whyyyyyyy wrote:
Zakaria1248 wrote:If approved, taking summer courses will add 6 months to your phase 2 commitment.

where does it say this??

The handbook doesn't list any of these special cases and SMART doesn't advertise the commitment extensions. Essentially you are taking a semester of courses that SMART didn't approve during the award process. In their eyes, that extra semester rounds up to 6 more months of a commitment.
Guest1234

Postby smartapplicant2018 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:13 pm

I had a similar question. I just received the Award Notification last week. I was wondering if I would be allowed to take two summer classes in order to lighten my workload for next semester. I would not need SMART to pay for these classes, but I was concerned that they wouldn't want me to take summer classes because the grades would not be on my spring transcript that I have to submit as part of phase zero. Does anyone know if taking these summer classes is allowed or if I should reach out to SMART directly and ask them? Thanks!
smartapplicant2018

Postby GuestM » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 pm

smartapplicant2018 wrote:I had a similar question. I just received the Award Notification last week. I was wondering if I would be allowed to take two summer classes in order to lighten my workload for next semester. I would not need SMART to pay for these classes, but I was concerned that they wouldn't want me to take summer classes because the grades would not be on my spring transcript that I have to submit as part of phase zero. Does anyone know if taking these summer classes is allowed or if I should reach out to SMART directly and ask them? Thanks!

If they're not paying for it and you take them this summer when you aren't going to have a required internship with your SF that's totally fine. The transcripts are just to make sure you stay above a 3.0 at the end of every semester.
GuestM

Postby smartapplicant2018 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Ok. Thank you very much!
smartapplicant2018

Return to Recipients