Quarterly tax payments

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Quarterly

Quarterly tax payments

Post by Quarterly »

How do we figure quarterly tax payments? After looking at my estimated income this year I should pay $1000 a quarter. Do you all make the quarterly payments do you just take the fine the IRS gives you?

taxes

Re: Quarterly tax payments

Post by taxes »

On the IRS website, you can make quarterly tax payments online. They also have the schedule of days to pay by. My CPA told me how much I would owe, and I just split it in four each time. I save at least 15% of each paycheck to make the payments and used some of the extra stipends to cover it.

ThankYou

Post by ThankYou »

taxes wrote:On the IRS website, you can make quarterly tax payments online. They also have the schedule of days to pay by. My CPA told me how much I would owe, and I just split it in four each time. I save at least 15% of each paycheck to make the payments and used some of the extra stipends to cover it.
Do I just make the payments based off what I would owe, or do I need to hire a CPA to fill out forms and schedule payments for me?

yourewelcome

Post by yourewelcome »

You can just make payments based on what you estimate to owe. You don't need to fill out a form, but I believe the website prompts you to provide information about your previous tax return and how you will file in 2018 (single, married etc.) When it comes time to do taxes, you can provide your CPA with a quarterly payment transcript (also on the IRS website) to show them what you paid. They can add it to your tax form. Online tax software also should have an option to add in the amount you have already paid (I know turbotax does).

Yasss

Post by Yasss »

yourewelcome wrote:You can just make payments based on what you estimate to owe. You don't need to fill out a form, but I believe the website prompts you to provide information about your previous tax return and how you will file in 2018 (single, married etc.) When it comes time to do taxes, you can provide your CPA with a quarterly payment transcript (also on the IRS website) to show them what you paid. They can add it to your tax form. Online tax software also should have an option to add in the amount you have already paid (I know turbotax does).

What’s the link?

directpay

Post by directpay »