Do we still get paid the stipend the month we graduate?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Do we still get paid the stipend the month we graduate?

Post by Guest »

For example, if you graduate in May, do you receive the stipend for that month? Thanks!

littlehope

Re: Do we still get paid the stipend the month we graduate?

Post by littlehope »

Yes because you are still a student even if it’s for a day of that month. So the last payment would be the third week of May.

LastPayment

Post by LastPayment »

Guest wrote:For example, if you graduate in May, do you receive the stipend for that month? Thanks!
The last payment is paid the month after you graduate. So if you are graduating in May you will get paid in May and then again in June. The final payment in June is meant to help out in case employment at your SF is delayed.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

This doesn't add up.

We expect to receive 25k/yr in stipends.

Funding begins in August and if it ends in June then the awardee is missing out on $2083 July payment. This doesn't seem right. Can someone chime in?

guest0101

Post by guest0101 »

Guest wrote:Hi,

This doesn't add up.

We expect to receive 25k/yr in stipends.

Funding begins in August and if it ends in June then the awardee is missing out on $2083 July payment. This doesn't seem right. Can someone chime in?
You are promised 25k for each year completed. However, you are not completing the year, thus you only receive compensation for the time completed. If you were hired somewhere and offered a salary of let's say 50k, but you leave after 6 months. Do you seriously expect the company to pay you the rest of your salary?

Post by Guest »

My interpretation was different. I completed three years of school. My interpretation was that for each academic year of school completed the stipend would be 25k.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Your yearly salary is the given 25k, you are paid per month that you are a student. During your final year you aren't a student after May therefore you are not paid after May.

This shouldn't matter because you should be starting your full time job around June the year you graduate.

If you are getting this scholarship in August 2018 and you have two years of school that it'll covered you will be paid every month until May of 2020.

Post by Guest »

Okay thanks.

Not starting until August so working on the funding gap haha

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Guest wrote:Okay thanks.

Not starting until August so working on the funding gap haha

Email SMART and let them know that! I think I've seen them make an exception for peeps that aren't starting until august. (Unless it's personal choice then idk if they'd help)