Clearance Question

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
clearances

Clearance Question

Post by clearances »

This isn't just related to SMART in particular, but I figured someone here might know the answer. I'm currently undergoing an SSBI for top secret clearance, but I'm thinking that I'll turn down the final offer when it is made. So to my understanding, that will mean that I have an SSBI adjudicated favorably (hopefully), but technically no clearance. Does having that SSBI on record make it easier for other companies to give me a clearance, and/or give me an advantage for getting the job? Can the SSBI be 'reactivated' and be the basis for a subsequent clearance?

SMART-ish

Re: Clearance Question

Post by SMART-ish »

Not related to OP but another clearance question:

When listing employers for e-qip did anyone list SMART as current employment? Or was that left blank? If so what did you list for supervisor, etc.?

Pseudo

Post by Pseudo »

For the first question, don't quote me on this but if you pass the clearance for TS level and turn it down I don't think it's something you could use favourable other than your ability to say that you could have had a clearance. If in the future you want a clearance I think you'd have to reapply. If you accept it you'd only have to update your eQip in 5 years. On the other hand if you accept you have to jump through hoops to travel abroad but having a clearance is favourable for any future government job you might apply for.

For the second question, when I did my eqip in October I listed smart as my employer and my SF as my place of work and gave the name of my point of contact. HOWEVER, when I had my interview with my investigator earlier this month he said that I didn't need to list it as I'm not currently working at the SF and to just list unemployed or student to avoid any residential discrepancies.

Interview

Post by Interview »

Pseudo wrote:For the first question, don't quote me on this but if you pass the clearance for TS level and turn it down I don't think it's something you could use favourable other than your ability to say that you could have had a clearance. If in the future you want a clearance I think you'd have to reapply. If you accept it you'd only have to update your eQip in 5 years. On the other hand if you accept you have to jump through hoops to travel abroad but having a clearance is favourable for any future government job you might apply for.

For the second question, when I did my eqip in October I listed smart as my employer and my SF as my place of work and gave the name of my point of contact. HOWEVER, when I had my interview with my investigator earlier this month he said that I didn't need to list it as I'm not currently working at the SF and to just list unemployed or student to avoid any residential discrepancies.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had an interview with an investigator. I didn't list SMART, but just a word of advice -- be careful of how you report your employment with your school if you are employed by a university. My school failed to report my employment until a month after I officially started and it caused some issues with my investigation.