Anyone tried to contact ASEE for changing 1099 box 7 to 3?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
taxes

Anyone tried to contact ASEE for changing 1099 box 7 to 3?

Post by taxes »

Has anyone tried to contact ASEE for changing the 1099 MISC from box 7 to box 3 for 2017 tax return?

waffertike

Re: Anyone tried to contact ASEE for changing 1099 box 7 to

Post by waffertike »

I got a email stating that:

"...Thank you for your email. We are currently looking into this issue and I will follow up with you as soon as I hear something.

V/R,
"

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Thought about it - but now I won't! Let me know when they get back to you.

Post by Guest »

waffertike wrote:I got a email stating that:

"...Thank you for your email. We are currently looking into this issue and I will follow up with you as soon as I hear something.

V/R,
"

Hey waffertlike, who did you contact?

Taxhelp

Post by Taxhelp »

I called a TurboTax “expert” and she told me to call LMI and request them send a 1089-T and deem the fellowship as an educational income/scholarship. Has anyone tried this?

argentum2f

Post by argentum2f »

I tried e-mailing some random person at ASEE (I wasn't sure if they're watching the old smart e-mail account anymore). I got no response.

GoToACPA

Post by GoToACPA »

argentum2f wrote:I tried e-mailing some random person at ASEE (I wasn't sure if they're watching the old smart e-mail account anymore). I got no response.
A CPA charges ~100-125 to file taxes for you. They know all the tax laws and how to file the scholarship. I went to a CPA and I already paid my taxes and don’t have to worry about it until quarterly payments start. They saved me from trouble with the IRS and from having to pay self employment tax. It’s worth paying a little extra.

CPAalltheway

Post by CPAalltheway »

GoToACPA wrote:
argentum2f wrote:I tried e-mailing some random person at ASEE (I wasn't sure if they're watching the old smart e-mail account anymore). I got no response.
A CPA charges ~100-125 to file taxes for you. They know all the tax laws and how to file the scholarship. I went to a CPA and I already paid my taxes and don’t have to worry about it until quarterly payments start. They saved me from trouble with the IRS and from having to pay self employment tax. It’s worth paying a little extra.
I second this. Using the 1099 as is, my CPA had already filed my taxes and I didn’t have to pay self employment tax.

ky502

Post by ky502 »

I sent a comprehensive email addressing all of the issues I have seen throughout the forum. They said they would get back to me.

Ky502

Post by Ky502 »

SMART just sent me this email

This is the response I have received on this matter. “The SMART Program and LMI cannot provide tax advice. Please direct your question to ASEE at addresschange@asee.org.”

argentum2f

Post by argentum2f »

GoToACPA wrote:
CPAalltheway wrote:
I second this. Using the 1099 as is, my CPA had already filed my taxes and I didn’t have to pay self employment tax.
Would someone who went to a CPA mind looking at a copy of the return they put together and see how the filed it?

Specifically, what line of what form did they put the income on, and is there a Schedule C attached?

taxes

Post by taxes »

For my tax return:
On the 1040, the scholarship was put on line 21, other income. There was no schedule C attached.

argentum2f

Post by argentum2f »

taxes wrote:For my tax return:
On the 1040, the scholarship was put on line 21, other income. There was no schedule C attached.
Ok, thanks. Good to know. I may go ahead pay someone to do my taxes for once as well.

Back to the OP, I did finally get this reply:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

ASEE made the decision to place all fellowship stipend payments in box 7 based on IRS instructions on identifying the payee relationship, the preparation of the 1099 MISC forms and reporting of various income types, as well as the IRS regulations of handling payments for scholarships, fellowships and other grants. There will be no further advice given in this manner. ASEE cannot provide tax advice so we urge you to seek advice from a tax professional.

Jessalyn

Jessalyn Vermillion, CPA
Controller
American Society for Engineering Education
Inspiring Innovation. Advancing Research. Enhancing Education.
http://www.asee.org