Quarterly Payments

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
CSMajor

Quarterly Payments

Post by CSMajor »

Who goes the route of quarterly payments? Do you estimate what you're going to make for the full year, or do you estimate it based off the stipend (25,000) and then adjust in the quarters we are paid our internship support?

Guest123

Re: Quarterly Payments

Post by Guest123 »

CSMajor wrote:Who goes the route of quarterly payments? Do you estimate what you're going to make for the full year, or do you estimate it based off the stipend (25,000) and then adjust in the quarters we are paid our internship support?
When I was in phase 1, I did quarterly payments. If you don't, you potentially get hit with paying the government interest on not paying quarterly. I estimated for the full year, including the ISP for the summer. No need to adjust between quarters... You just have to pay taxes on the ISP before, during, and after the ISP. I think the ISP is enough income that they "might" come back for the interest they lost from you not paying enough quarterly. I believe there is a spot on the 1040 that leads you to another form if you didn't pay quarterly and is a pain to calculate how much back interest you would owe the government.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Guest123 wrote:
CSMajor wrote:Who goes the route of quarterly payments? Do you estimate what you're going to make for the full year, or do you estimate it based off the stipend (25,000) and then adjust in the quarters we are paid our internship support?
When I was in phase 1, I did quarterly payments. If you don't, you potentially get hit with paying the government interest on not paying quarterly. I estimated for the full year, including the ISP for the summer. No need to adjust between quarters... You just have to pay taxes on the ISP before, during, and after the ISP. I think the ISP is enough income that they "might" come back for the interest they lost from you not paying enough quarterly. I believe there is a spot on the 1040 that leads you to another form if you didn't pay quarterly and is a pain to calculate how much back interest you would owe the government.
How much did you end up paying? My calculations show that I owe $2,000 per quarter which seems pretty high imho.
I may just readjust when I get the ISP since that's when I'll actually be earning that income.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

CSMajor wrote:
Guest123 wrote:
How much did you end up paying? My calculations show that I owe $2,000 per quarter which seems pretty high imho.
I may just readjust when I get the ISP since that's when I'll actually be earning that income.

$8000 is way to high for federal taxes on $25000, is that after deducting the single person deduction of $10,400?

Then did you look at the tax tables? https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

Guest123

Post by Guest123 »

CSMajor wrote:
Guest123 wrote:

I only had to pay federal taxes at the time because of both where my SF was and my state of residency. My quarterly federal taxes were around $1300 as a graduate student in 2014/2015.