Internship payment

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
arbiter

Internship payment

Post by arbiter »

Can someone shed some light on what to expect to make this summer?
I've heard $4,000 in internship support payments (are these guaranteed?)
and the usual stipend on top of that.
Does this match up with what anyone else knows?

Arbiter

Re: Internship payment

Post by Arbiter »

*$4,000 per month

guest124

Post by guest124 »

Your weekly internship support payment rate is listed in box 6b of your Smart Service Agreement. Since my work site is on the other side of the coast from both my school and home, I qualify for the rate of 1000 dollars per week, or yes, almost 4000 a month.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

It's like the original travel support payment. You'll get something if you're more than 50 miles from your SF. $1000 per week is the maximum.

I don't know which address they'll ask for this year but I'd imagine if your home address is more than 50 miles but your school isn't you'd have a case to make on why you need the support payments. (i.e. I'm going home before my internship start/I don't have a car here/I wasn't planning on renting for the whole summer...etc)

Otherwise I'd expect you won't qualify for anything if you're within that 50 miles.

MaybeHelpful

Post by MaybeHelpful »

guest124 wrote:Your weekly internship support payment rate is listed in box 6b of your Smart Service Agreement. Since my work site is on the other side of the coast from both my school and home, I qualify for the rate of 1000 dollars per week, or yes, almost 4000 a month.
Something to add to this is that the weekly internship support payment rate ($1000 is standard) will be listed here regardless of if you qualify. In other words, if your home/school address is greater than 50 miles from your SF, you get the amount per week listed in 6b in addition to your regular stipend. If your address is less than 50 miles you get nothing in addition to your stipend, even though there will be a rate listed in 6b.

Before LMI was in control, you would self report if you qualified when requesting the internship and SMART would confirm using Google Maps based on the shortest route. This might change now. As a side note, in the past people have reported on here having success getting payments even if the shortest route was under 50 miles, but passed through high traffic areas (e.g. your state capital) that were not realistic for daily travel if the next fastest route avoided this area and was over the 50 miles.