1099s?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Shuffles

1099s?

Post by Shuffles »

Has anyone received their 1099 from SMART yet?

scheffc

Re: 1099s?

Post by scheffc »

We were notified they were shipping 1/31/2018, so this Wednesday. Not sure how slow the delivery will be.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

scheffc wrote:We were notified they were shipping 1/31/2018, so this Wednesday. Not sure how slow the delivery will be.
Was an email sent?

SMART-ish

Post by SMART-ish »

Has anyone received their 1099 yet?

PhdSMART

Post by PhdSMART »

Just got it today. Anyone else who got their 1099 have income reported in box 3 or 7?

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

PhdSMART wrote:Just got it today. Anyone else who got their 1099 have income reported in box 3 or 7?
Think on the bright side of it being considered self employment. Deductions, deductions, DEDUCTIONS! School supplies, travel related to SMART, a car for school, gas to get to school, that desk you bought to do homework, the laptop you bought to do schoolwork. If they’re paying us to go to school then we can deduct expenses related to that job. If you get a good accountant and have, like me, paid a lot of money on school supplies then you may owe a lot less than if it were just taxed income.

PhdSMART

Post by PhdSMART »

CSMajor wrote:
PhdSMART wrote:Just got it today. Anyone else who got their 1099 have income reported in box 3 or 7?
Think on the bright side of it being considered self employment. Deductions, deductions, DEDUCTIONS! School supplies, travel related to SMART, a car for school, gas to get to school, that desk you bought to do homework, the laptop you bought to do schoolwork. If they’re paying us to go to school then we can deduct expenses related to that job. If you get a good accountant and have, like me, paid a lot of money on school supplies then you may owe a lot less than if it were just taxed income.
However, if they marked box 3 it would not be subject to self-employment tax since per the tax memo we are not self-employed. Scrolling through this forum I believe previous years they marked box 3.

UNM_EE

Post by UNM_EE »

The total amount is in box 7 of the 1099 that I received.

ThatsCorrect

Post by ThatsCorrect »

UNM_EE wrote:The total amount is in box 7 of the 1099 that I received.
That’s actually correct. It is supposed to be in box 7. I hate to burst your bubbles but the stipend is heavily taxed.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Can anyone explain how we are an independent contractor who is not self employed and our scholarship is not in exchange for work? Yet if it's in line 7 we are supposed to pay self employed taxes?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Here's the explanation for Box 3 vs Box 7. The most important designation, and something extremely clear in our paperwork is that this scholarship is not in exchange for work. So again I just don't understand why is it on line 7?

https://imgur.com/a/Tw7RQ

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

Anyone else still not receive their 1099? It's now near the end of February and I haven't seen anything from ASEE.

1099_

Post by 1099_ »

I never received mine either. I followed up with LMI and they gave me this email address to ask ASEE what happened: addresschange@asee.org
I just asked for an electronic copy and they attached one.

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

ASEE just emailed me an electronic copy of my 1099- MISC if anyone else is still waiting on theirs. I just emailed < addresschange@asee.org> and received prompt response.