Tax memo

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
CSMajor

Tax memo

Post by CSMajor »

Does anyone have a copy of the tax memo? I've noticed it isn't available any more.

mecheng

Re: Tax memo

Post by mecheng »

CSMajor wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the tax memo? I've noticed it isn't available any more.
I have the one from ASEE. It wont let me upload a pdf. PM me and I will try to figure out how to send it.

Twoface262

Post by Twoface262 »

mecheng wrote:
CSMajor wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the tax memo? I've noticed it isn't available any more.
I have the one from ASEE. It wont let me upload a pdf. PM me and I will try to figure out how to send it.
Sent!

Does anyone from previous years have an estimate of what they paid for the first half year of the scholarship?

Is the living stipend considered self employment income or other income?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Twoface262 wrote:
mecheng wrote:
Sent!

Does anyone from previous years have an estimate of what they paid for the first half year of the scholarship?

Is the living stipend considered self employment income or other income?
It's "Independent Contractor who is not self employed" aka who the heck knows! I think that basically means you should end up paying state and federal taxes but not medicare and social security.

Taxes

Post by Taxes »

I guess a better question would be: on the 1099 from smart is the stipend put in box 7 or box 3?

PhdSMART

Post by PhdSMART »

Can I get a copy of that memo as well? Also I just received my 1099 and it was reported in box 7. However from my previous understanding and previous 1099s it should be reported in box 3?

SMART-ish

Post by SMART-ish »

Here's a screenshot of the memo I had from ASEE.
Attachments
Smart Tax Memo.png

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

So we should be able to claim this as unearned income since we aren't employed and we also aren't self employed? But I don't know how...