Government Shutdown

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
armyphase1

Government Shutdown

Post by armyphase1 »

I am having trouble finding out what happens to SMART fellows during the government shutdown. Most of the posts on this forum from the last shutdown concern Phase 2 people and those worried about getting hired. Does anyone know if Phase 1 people are furloughed?

MaybeHelpful

Re: Government Shutdown

Post by MaybeHelpful »

armyphase1 wrote:I am having trouble finding out what happens to SMART fellows during the government shutdown. Most of the posts on this forum from the last shutdown concern Phase 2 people and those worried about getting hired. Does anyone know if Phase 1 people are furloughed?
As far as I know we are unaffected by the government shutdown. LMI is a contractor not a government agency, so it should still be operating and awarding funds.

A prolonged shutdown may affect hiring or cause furloughs in Phase 2, but many sponsoring facilities actually have funding contracted through 1.5 years, so the shutdown does not immediately affect day to day. SMART is exempt from all hiring freezes that might result from a shutdown.

The most likely way that the shutdown will affect Phase 1 scholars is that it will stop progress on background checks.

Ky502

Re: Government Shutdown

Post by Ky502 »

I got furloughed yesterday by my sponsoring facility, but I am not aware that anything with SMART was affected.