Interim Clearance

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
KY502

Interim Clearance

Post by KY502 »

I am currently working on my first internship. There have been problems getting my interim clearance. There is a large debate about if I am allowed to have one. My department cannot tell if it is a new Smart rule, new military rule, or a misunderstanding with the base security office causing the problem.

Has anyone had this issue in the past or currently? I have provided the Smart handbook as reference to my SF, but I would love any information you guys have about getting interim clearances.

GuestB

Re: Interim Clearance

Post by GuestB »

Why are they saying you cannot get one?

I am not much help because I got my TS clearance in 2013. However, I was under the impression that most all people got an interim until the clearance process was completed. I had an interim though training and then when my paperwork was completed they changed it over. They take a long time to get the paperwork completed sometimes though.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I was notified I wasn't granted an interim security clearance and won't be able to complete an internship this summer. I just have to wait now to see if I'm granted a clearance when the entire process is completed. I wasn't told anything from my SF except I didn't receive the interim and I haven't spoken to anyone yet for the process.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Have either of you traveled outside of the country extensively? (Non-European countries mostly) It could just be because they feel you have to many non-us citizen contacts they don't want to easily grant it? I think that's part of the reason they make us fill out the travel forms - it makes it easier on the background check end but obviously you didn't have to do it before. Assuming you're a US citizen and haven't done anything illegal/immoral you shouldn't have any problem getting full clearance.

ky502

Post by ky502 »

I was just granted my clearance. There was an issue between SMART and the SF because now the SF has to grant clearances instead of SMART. We had to go really far up the chain to get approval. It took about a month.

Intrim

Post by Intrim »

I was granted interim within a day. Yet my final clearance investigation is going on a year -- the process sucks. It takes an exorbitant amount of time even for someone who is squeaky clean.

SMART-ish

Post by SMART-ish »

Intrim wrote:I was granted interim within a day. Yet my final clearance investigation is going on a year -- the process sucks. It takes an exorbitant amount of time even for someone who is squeaky clean.

Intrim, what level clearance are you waiting on? My SF took forever to get mine started and I'm supposed to start full time this summer.

Interim

Post by Interim »

SMART-ish wrote:
Intrim wrote:I was granted interim within a day. Yet my final clearance investigation is going on a year -- the process sucks. It takes an exorbitant amount of time even for someone who is squeaky clean.

Intrim, what level clearance are you waiting on? My SF took forever to get mine started and I'm supposed to start full time this summer.
Secret, but I had a very complete packet with no negative marks against my record. I also think all my background checks came in that same day (I had submitted my fingerprint cards a couple of weeks before the SF86). My facility has been very on top of the process.