Follow-on Award Notification

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Follow-on Award Notification

Postby MnEngineer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I recently applied for a Type 3 follow-on award and according to the FAQ page on the SMART webite I just need to score in the top half of the applicants and have approval from my SF to obtain the follow-on award.

Does anyone know if I will hear back about getting an award earlier than I did the first time around since I won't have to go through the SF interview process?

"c. Type 3 Follow-On Awards. Phase 3 SMART Scholarship Program Participants who wish to pursue an additional degree request a type 3 follow-on award. In order to receive a type 3 follow-on award, a SMART Scholarship Program Participant must reapply to SMART for a separate award, score in the top 50 percent of applicants for the new award cycle, and be recommended for a follow-on award by a Sponsoring Facility. Time spent working at the Sponsoring Facility is not applied toward completion of the service commitment until the SMART Scholarship Program Participant completes phase 1 of the follow-on award."
MnEngineer

Re: Follow-on Award Notification

Postby GuestGuy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 pm

MnEngineer wrote:Hi All,

I recently applied for a Type 3 follow-on award and according to the FAQ page on the SMART webite I just need to score in the top half of the applicants and have approval from my SF to obtain the follow-on award.

Does anyone know if I will hear back about getting an award earlier than I did the first time around since I won't have to go through the SF interview process?

"c. Type 3 Follow-On Awards. Phase 3 SMART Scholarship Program Participants who wish to pursue an additional degree request a type 3 follow-on award. In order to receive a type 3 follow-on award, a SMART Scholarship Program Participant must reapply to SMART for a separate award, score in the top 50 percent of applicants for the new award cycle, and be recommended for a follow-on award by a Sponsoring Facility. Time spent working at the Sponsoring Facility is not applied toward completion of the service commitment until the SMART Scholarship Program Participant completes phase 1 of the follow-on award."

I applied a received a Type 1 Follow-on award. I was notified of my award from SMART the same day as first-time applicants. Given that the application process and requirements are written the same way in that FAQ for all three types, I think it will likely be the same for you.

Your supervisor will have submitted a letter of support as part of your application, but the SF does not officially recommend you until late-winter when they have reviewed first-time applications. They submit all of their recommendations at the same time.

Follow-on awards are not guaranteed even if you meet those two criteria list in the FAQ. You go through the same process as all other applicants.
GuestGuy

Return to Recipients