Retention Participant + Moving Away for School

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
avonmoll

Retention Participant + Moving Away for School

Post by avonmoll »

Has anyone ever participated in SMART as a retention participant and moved away for school? Were you placed on TDY and receive a lodging per diem (or partial lodging per diem)?

I was a retention participant from 2014-2015 going to Georgia Tech for my MS while employed by AFRL (at WPAFB). However, I completed my entire program via distance learning and never left Dayton, OH. I'm now applying to SMART again for PhD with the intention of remaining with AFRL. One of the schools I'm considering is in California. The housing costs are, at best, double my current mortgage, and in reality closer to triple. I've been told that PCS is pretty much impossible -- there are lots of logistical issues like needing a "home base", etc. In other programs (like long-term full-time training [LTFT]) participants are placed on extended TDY and receive 60-80% of the per diem rate based on their location. My question is aimed at figuring out if a similar approach has been taken for SMART participants in the past.

superguest

Re: Retention Participant + Moving Away for School

Post by superguest »

a prior retention employee smart scholar at my SF did receive TDY funds to live a few hours from our SF, this was several (5-6) years ago, and was very costly.

for my last year of the program ill be researching several hours from my SF (and university), and was told under no uncertain terms that my SF will not provide TDY funds for travel or housing.

so my experience has been that it is dependent on the SF's budget and attitude, you'll just have to ask. may be a good idea to be prepared for them to be out of money and craps to give.

superguest

Post by superguest »

in both cases i just mentioned, the moves were/are within the same state. you may have a stronger case since the cost of living in CA is drastically higher from where you are

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

I'm not sure what you're being paid as a retention applicant in general or really how that works at all. As recruitment though our stipends are a flat rate no matter where we are. So even though I'm in downtown LA for school I still get the same stipend as someone in Ohio would have. I kinda feel like that's the same for everyone.

However as a retention applicant you're paid by your facility not SMART right? So you may be able to negotiate the terms with a little bit of success.