Nay:Yay
13%
Nay:Nay
No votes

Total votes : 8

Forum Changes

Postby Chris Moulder » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:39 am

Hi All,

I wanted to get your input on two changes.

1. Website monetization.
I pay for all hosting and domain charges myself. Currently, the website is partially supported by google adsense, but it only covers about half of the expenses. I would like to remove the ads (that most of you seem to block anyway) and replace them with a cryptocurrency mining script. Essentially, your browser will mine a small about of Monero (think bitcoin but not) through the Coinhive (coinhive.com) framework. On a modern computer it will not use more than about 25% of your CPU. It is still blocked by most adblockers if you do not whitelist this site.

2. Site specific threads.
Several people have asked if there can be some formal location for site specific information and questions. I'm hesitant to add a new forum because I do not think enough people would visit regularly. Instead, I would like to place specifically formatted threads in the "Recipients" forum (where all the people with answers will actually see them) and invite the applicants to ask site specific question in those threads.

PS. Please discuss below and don't spam my poll.

Chris
Chris Moulder

Re: Forum Changes

Postby Proud Scout » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:21 am

Have you considered just soliciting contributions? If you haven't done it already, it might be worth a try. Even a ten buck contribution each from a minority of the Forum participants may help with the expenses. Thanks for keeping the site up, it has been an invaluable source of information. Sorry for being a freeloader!
Proud Scout

Postby Arbiter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

I would donate $20 for all the support and help I've been given here.
Arbiter

Postby Chris Moulder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 am

Thank you. I'll see how it goes.
Chris Moulder

Return to Recipients