Studying Abroad Payments

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Justwannastudyabroad

Studying Abroad Payments

Post by Justwannastudyabroad »

So my school is offering a study abroad opportunity May 7-June 1 this summer. It's an engineering specific program, and consists of two classes for 3 hours each, both of which I need to graduate and listed on my SMART class list. The fee consists of the cost of tuition for each hour, and a program fee of $850. I believe they tack it on the previous spring semester's cost, but I'm not entirely sure. Would this whole cost be covered by SMART, or do you think just the tuition cost would be? I'm not sure if the program fee would count as an "educational fee".

Also, is SMART strict on starting your summer internship right after you finish classes, or is that something you discuss with your SF? Is the minimum amount of time you work in the summer 8 weeks, or is that SF specific too?

Thanks for your help!

kbl2017

Re: Studying Abroad Payments

Post by kbl2017 »

Justwannastudyabroad wrote:So my school is offering a study abroad opportunity May 7-June 1 this summer. It's an engineering specific program, and consists of two classes for 3 hours each, both of which I need to graduate and listed on my SMART class list. The fee consists of the cost of tuition for each hour, and a program fee of $850. I believe they tack it on the previous spring semester's cost, but I'm not entirely sure. Would this whole cost be covered by SMART, or do you think just the tuition cost would be? I'm not sure if the program fee would count as an "educational fee".

Also, is SMART strict on starting your summer internship right after you finish classes, or is that something you discuss with your SF? Is the minimum amount of time you work in the summer 8 weeks, or is that SF specific too?

Thanks for your help!
Minimum time is 8 weeks, start date is SF specific. I would just email them and let them know you're not done with classes until the 1st of June. For my SF we got a date of May 28th and he said he'd look into later dates if people needed it.

My personal guess is you will not get the $850 covered - but I could be wrong. As for the classes if it's billed on it's own you'd most likely have to email SMART and tell them why you need to take them in this one month period. If it's billed the same time as spring classes then I'm sure they'll cover it!

littlehope

Re: Studying Abroad Payments

Post by littlehope »

Relating to whether or not SMART will cover tuition for any term other than Fall and Spring, here is what the handbook states:
7.5. Tuition and Approved Related Educational Expenses
The SSP funds the total cost of full-time tuition and approved related educational fees during the standard academic year. Full-time tuition includes fall through spring standard terms only. Full time tuition does not include summer or condensed winter terms.