Changing Adviser

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
lostmastersstudent

Changing Adviser

Post by lostmastersstudent »

Has anyone gone through the process of changing your thesis adviser? How does SMART deal with a potential adviser/ degree change?

I emailed SMART and got a response about a form to fill out, but I was wondering if there is more to the process or if anyone has any advice.

Guest123

Re: Changing Adviser

Post by Guest123 »

lostmastersstudent wrote:Has anyone gone through the process of changing your thesis adviser? How does SMART deal with a potential adviser/ degree change?

I emailed SMART and got a response about a form to fill out, but I was wondering if there is more to the process or if anyone has any advice.
Just to clarify are you talking about just an adviser change, like the title of your post, or a degree change, like you mention in the body?

If it is just an advisor change, you should complete the form they provided. From my experience this is more or less a formality, SMART will review the change and accept it. Your thesis advisor does not have significant bearing on your award or placement.

If it is a degree change, then it actually affects your award and SF placement, so SMART will review the change. They will run it by your SF, who might approve or disapprove the change. If you SF disapproves of the change, SMART might change your placement.

lostmastersstudent

Re: Changing Adviser

Post by lostmastersstudent »

I am hoping just to change advisers.