Security Clearance Timing?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Security Clearance Timing?

Postby malarious » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the program this year but have not received anything to apply for security clearance. I was wondering if anyone knows when the codes or paperwork for this is usually processed. I am going abroad for school this weekend, so it will make things a bit messier. Already contacted the SF, they said there was nothing they could do to rush it.
malarious

Re: Security Clearance Timing?

Postby CSMajor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Clearance is supposed to be handled by your SF's security office. I've already received and filled out all my paperwork -.. now I just need to wait for an adjudication. The process is relatively painless, just fingerprints and a questionnaire.
CSMajor

Postby malarious » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks! Hopefully they can take care of things without much issue while I am out.

Painless is good.
malarious

Postby CSMajor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 am

malarious wrote:Thanks! Hopefully they can take care of things without much issue while I am out.

Painless is good.

My only suggestion is to make sure you get your finger prints done before leaving.
CSMajor

Postby Guest3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:18 am

How do they get your fingerprints what is the process?
Guest3

Postby forensics » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am

Guest3 wrote:How do they get your fingerprints what is the process?

I went to the local PD and had them do two fingerprint cards. Then I mailed them in per my SF's instructions. You can do the livescan as well, but I was having problems finding somewhere to do them.
forensics

Postby CSMajor » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:55 pm

forensics wrote:
Guest3 wrote:How do they get your fingerprints what is the process?

I went to the local PD and had them do two fingerprint cards. Then I mailed them in per my SF's instructions. You can do the livescan as well, but I was having problems finding somewhere to do them.

I did the same as Forensics.
CSMajor

Postby littlehope » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am

My SF specifically sent me the fingerprint cards, but I'm pretty sure most offices use the same form they sent. It's pretty universal. Just a heads up too my SF wanted two copies (it didn't cost double).
You can get them done at police stations, courthouses, and sometimes a few other state government buildings. My university security office actually offered them, it was even the live scan version rather than ink, for half off what the police department charged if you were a student. So I would check with them if you are at a larger school.
littlehope

Return to Recipients