Polygraph Testing

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Polygraph Testing

Postby guest679876 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:14 pm

Has anybody who has had a background check completed had a polygraph? What clearance level did you get?

I'm concerned about moderate drug use that I have stopped since receiving the award.
guest679876

Re: Polygraph Testing

Postby CSMajor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:59 pm

A Secret usually doesn't require a polygraph unless red flags are raised. I wouldn't worry too much about moderate drug use. No one is perfect and they understand that. Has anyone from SMART been denied a clearance before?
CSMajor

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 pm

CSMajor wrote:A Secret usually doesn't require a polygraph unless red flags are raised. I wouldn't worry too much about moderate drug use. No one is perfect and they understand that. Has anyone from SMART been denied a clearance before?

I had a TS and people with drug use still got it as long as they were honest

Postby kbl2017 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 pm

You just have to be honest - your clearance isn't about if you did drugs in college it's about can you keep what you're working on a secret? do you have any questionable contacts? have you visited other countries for other things besides vacation? etc. Like a previous poster said, a polygraph is only for TS not for just secret which is what most people will be.
kbl2017

Postby Arbitor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 am

CSMajor wrote:A Secret usually doesn't require a polygraph unless red flags are raised. I wouldn't worry too much about moderate drug use. No one is perfect and they understand that. Has anyone from SMART been denied a clearance before?

Yes - at my SF they told me someone got denied because they had a lot of debt/credit card problems; it's a way for someone to get leverage over you.
Arbitor

Postby CSMajor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Arbitor wrote:

Yes - at my SF they told me someone got denied because they had a lot of debt/credit card problems; it's a way for someone to get leverage over you.

Yeah, if you have thousands of dollars in credit card debt and don't make your payments on time it opens you up to extortion. I think this is only a problem if you literally have thousands of dollars in debt or you are constantly delinquent on payments.
CSMajor

Return to Recipients