fail course

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

fail course

Postby fail course » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:27 pm

WHAT IF this summer I decided to take a course and ended up failing it, and because of that my GPA dropped to just below a 3.0. Can I retake it in the fall and DEFINITELY pass it and bring my GPA above the 3.0 requirement.

Theoretically, Could I do that ?? since the class wasn't funded by SMART ?
fail course

Re: fail course

Postby DifferentGuest » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 pm

fail course wrote:WHAT IF this summer I decided to take a course and ended up failing it, and because of that my GPA dropped to just below a 3.0. Can I retake it in the fall and DEFINITELY pass it and bring my GPA above the 3.0 requirement.

I have no experience to confirm this, but as I understand it, SMART only considers your GPA during funding and only cares about failed classes that are taken during funding. So I think you would be okay if this happened.
DifferentGuest

Postby kbl2017 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:02 pm

fail course wrote:WHAT IF this summer I decided to take a course and ended up failing it, and because of that my GPA dropped to just below a 3.0. Can I retake it in the fall and DEFINITELY pass it and bring my GPA above the 3.0 requirement.

So assuming you're starting your funding period this fall you should be fine! Just make sure you get your GPA about a 3.0 in the fall when they are paying.
kbl2017

Postby fail course » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:35 am

NVM failing course would not drop me to below 3.0.
fail course

Postby kbl2017 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm

fail course wrote:NVM failing course would not drop me to below 3.0.

yay! That's good. I hope you don't end up failing, but if you do you'll get a really good grade when you retake it :)
kbl2017

Postby DifferentGuest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Also, just to note, after you do start SMART and the GPA matters. A lot of schools will let you delete a limited number of failing grades from your transcript. As long as that deleted grade doesn't drop you below the full-time student line for that semester, it would be a good emergency maneuver.
DifferentGuest

Return to Recipients