Extending SMART for Masters after B.S.?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
HOrobOD

Extending SMART for Masters after B.S.?

Post by HOrobOD »

I was awarded to get my bachelors and was wondering how easy it is to get into SMART again to get my masters. I currently have 2 years left on my BS, and am looking at doing an accelerated program to get my Masters in only 1 year after graduation.

If I change to the accelerated program, do I have to notify SMART about it even though my BS graduation date won't change but some of my undergrad classes will?

To get my Masters funded by SMART, can I just get my award extended a year, or do I have to go through the whole application process again?

DifferentGuest

Re: Extending SMART for Masters after B.S.?

Post by DifferentGuest »

HOrobOD wrote:I was awarded to get my bachelors and was wondering how easy it is to get into SMART again to get my masters. I currently have 2 years left on my BS, and am looking at doing an accelerated program to get my Masters in only 1 year after graduation.

If I change to the accelerated program, do I have to notify SMART about it even though my BS graduation date won't change but some of my undergrad classes will?

To get my Masters funded by SMART, can I just get my award extended a year, or do I have to go through the whole application process again?
I just did this, it was very easy. If you are currently doing an internship, talk to your supervisor at your SF to gauge their receptiveness since you will need their support. Then in the fall you will reapply to SMART for a follow-on award. It is the same application process as before except in addition to recommendation letters, you need to submit a letter of supervisor support. If you are accepted, you'll fill out the start paperwork again (You will be required to do an internship in between the BS and MS).

You must go through the application process to get a follow-on award. All other routes to extend/adjust your current award are only meant to be used in situations of genuine need, not a voluntary extension (e.g. situations where you need to downgrade your funded degree or need an extra semester to complete the funded degree). Additionally, they usually come with a penalty (e.g. if you adjust your award to give your self an extra semester to finish the degree, you actually owe SMART a full year worth of new commitment).

There is no need to notify SMART if you enter the accelerated program as long as you are still able to graduate on the original date with the original degree.

HOrobOD

Post by HOrobOD »

Ok, thanks for the info!

So would I reapply the fall of my senior year (fall 2018), or can I do it this coming fall of my junior year?

DifferentGuest

Post by DifferentGuest »

HOrobOD wrote:Ok, thanks for the info!

So would I reapply the fall of my senior year (fall 2018), or can I do it this coming fall of my junior year?
As far as I know either would be fine. I did senior year, but that was just because I didn't know its what I wanted in junior year. In my opinion the sooner the better, especially if you are sure its what you want.

Guest1011

Post by Guest1011 »

I am trying to do this as well. I want to get a dual degree and have already talked to necessary people on my base including my mentor and branch head and have their support. Is it pretty likely to be accepted for the second degree? Also, do you have to apply as a follow-on award or can you just reapply in general? I was hoping to not do a summer internship in between the awards
DifferentGuest wrote:
HOrobOD wrote:I was awarded to get my bachelors and was wondering how easy it is to get into SMART again to get my masters. I currently have 2 years left on my BS, and am looking at doing an accelerated program to get my Masters in only 1 year after graduation.

I just did this, it was very easy. If you are currently doing an internship, talk to your supervisor at your SF to gauge their receptiveness since you will need their support. Then in the fall you will reapply to SMART for a follow-on award. It is the same application process as before except in addition to recommendation letters, you need to submit a letter of supervisor support. If you are accepted, you'll fill out the start paperwork again (You will be required to do an internship in between the BS and MS).

You must go through the application process to get a follow-on award. All other routes to extend/adjust your current award are only meant to be used in situations of genuine need, not a voluntary extension (e.g. situations where you need to downgrade your funded degree or need an extra semester to complete the funded degree). Additionally, they usually come with a penalty (e.g. if you adjust your award to give your self an extra semester to finish the degree, you actually owe SMART a full year worth of new commitment).

There is no need to notify SMART if you enter the accelerated program as long as you are still able to graduate on the original date with the original degree.
so I could start graduate school classes.

DifferentGuest

Post by DifferentGuest »

Guest1011 wrote:I am trying to do this as well. I want to get a dual degree and have already talked to necessary people on my base including my mentor and branch head and have their support. Is it pretty likely to be accepted for the second degree? Also, do you have to apply as a follow-on award or can you just reapply in general? I was hoping to not do a summer internship in between the awards so I could start graduate school classes.
I treated it as pretty likely, but it is not guaranteed. Technically, it is no more likely to get selected the second time as the first time, except that now you have more experience and a SF specifically watching out for you.

Your application still goes through SMART's initial elimination round, but you made it through once so as long as you haven't tanked since the first time, its a pretty safe bet you'll be fine. Then the application goes to your SF. Even if your supervisor and branch head are in support of it, your SF likely only has a limited number of slots for the entire installation, with other teams and branches looking to get their own SMART scholars pushed through. If there is a flood of more qualified candidates, you might be out of luck. I would say that is the only potential obstacle because the final selection by SMART after SF's have submitted names, is more or less a formality, I believe.

I think it has to be a follow-on award. However, if your SF agrees to waive the internship, SMART should have no issue with it.

Post by Guest »

Hello! I know it's been a while since you guys posted, but I wanted to ask a quick question. In order to extend your award for one year to get an accelerated Master's, did you have to take the GRE? My University doesn't require it for the program, but it appears that SMART wants it for all graduate applications. I was wondering if this applied to the "extension" process for current SMART scholars as well as incoming new graduate student applicants. I've been told that typically the GRE isn't required for Engineering grad school, and I wasn't originally planning on taking it.

Post by 12345 »

Guest wrote:Hello! I know it's been a while since you guys posted, but I wanted to ask a quick question. In order to extend your award for one year to get an accelerated Master's, did you have to take the GRE? My University doesn't require it for the program, but it appears that SMART wants it for all graduate applications. I was wondering if this applied to the "extension" process for current SMART scholars as well as incoming new graduate student applicants. I've been told that typically the GRE isn't required for Engineering grad school, and I wasn't originally planning on taking it.
I've been through this process, and yes, the application requires a GRE.

SameDifferentGuest

Post by SameDifferentGuest »

12345 wrote:
Guest wrote:Hello! I know it's been a while since you guys posted, but I wanted to ask a quick question. In order to extend your award for one year to get an accelerated Master's, did you have to take the GRE? My University doesn't require it for the program, but it appears that SMART wants it for all graduate applications. I was wondering if this applied to the "extension" process for current SMART scholars as well as incoming new graduate student applicants. I've been told that typically the GRE isn't required for Engineering grad school, and I wasn't originally planning on taking it.
I've been through this process, and yes, the application requires a GRE.
I was not required to submit GRE scores when I applied to add my a Master's.