Miscellaneous Supplies Allowance

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
sfrka

Miscellaneous Supplies Allowance

Post by sfrka »

I was reading through the participant handbook and it mentions a miscellaneous supplies allowance. Does anyone know how much this usually is?

DifferentGuest

Re: Miscellaneous Supplies Allowance

Post by DifferentGuest »

sfrka wrote:I was reading through the participant handbook and it mentions a miscellaneous supplies allowance. Does anyone know how much this usually is?
It is $1000. It is given as a single payment in August so that you can use it for textbooks, or whatever else you might need. It is meant to last both semesters, so budget accordingly.

sfrka

Post by sfrka »

DifferentGuest wrote:
sfrka wrote:I was reading through the participant handbook and it mentions a miscellaneous supplies allowance. Does anyone know how much this usually is?
It is $1000. It is given as a single payment in August so that you can use it for textbooks, or whatever else you might need. It is meant to last both semesters, so budget accordingly.
Thank you!

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Is this given to us or our SF?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

CSMajor wrote:Is this given to us or our SF?
Everything is given directly to us. No payments come through the SF until phase 2. It'll be payed out like the travel stipend was - that first month (august) should include the two allowances (misc. and health care) and the first month of your stipend.

Hello_tehe

Post by Hello_tehe »

kbl2017 wrote:
Everything is given directly to us. No payments come through the SF until phase 2. It'll be payed out like the travel stipend was - that first month (august) should include the two allowances (misc. and health care) and the first month of your stipend.

Do you know when in August this will be distributed?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Hello_tehe wrote:
kbl2017 wrote:

Do you know when in August this will be distributed?
I believe the third week based on previous years.

DifferentGuest

Post by DifferentGuest »

kbl2017 wrote:
Hello_tehe wrote:Do you know when in August this will be distributed?
I believe the third week based on previous years.
Yes, it will be deposited the third week in August along with your first stipend payment.

The only exceptions to this is are: (1) if they delay the August stipend payment, which happens every once in a while, (2) you are still a federal employee through pathways or some other program August 1st, and are ineligible to receive an August stipend. If that is the case they will give you the allowances with your September stipend.