internship support payment

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
internship1

internship support payment

Post by internship1 »

is the $1000 internship support payment only if you live far away from your SF or do you get it just because you're interning that summer?

I'm asking because it says (if eligible) in fine print on the service agreement next to the internship support payment.

I see no reason why we shouldn't be paid for our time as interns.

Alsointer

Re: internship support payment

Post by Alsointer »

Also if we are paid the internship support payment then do they continue paying the stipend in addition during the summer?

In general are we still paid the stipend (25,000 annual) during the summer ?

littlehope

Re: internship support payment

Post by littlehope »

Those who live over 50 miles away from their Sponsoring Facility are the only ones to receive the internship support payments. How I see it is that the stipend is paying you to study during school year but then it continues to pay you during the summer months since you are interning for them. Which makes sense to me as I wouldn't expect to continue recieving money from the scholarship if I wasn't doing school or working for them.

The internship support payments are just that--support payments. They are given to those who regularly live far away from their SF on top of the stipend (which is for the work done at the internship) because most of them have to buy short term housing, find short term transportation, etc (which can pretty pricy since it's short term). Whereas people who live close by most likely already have their housing and transportation that they use year around.