Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby guest-guest » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 am

This is a question for any current or future APG employees. Does anyone have any ideas for housing during the summer internship? I have looked at some long-term hotels and houses under Airbnb, but prices can definitely get pretty high and I wanted to know if there was a better solution. I don't know how easy it'd be to rent an apartment for barely three months.

Also, for anyone who is already working at CERDEC, how long does your summer internship usually last?

Thanks!
guest-guest
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi! I just received SMART this year so I won't be doing an internship until next summer (2018) but I will be at CERDEC in APG as well. I was looking at an Extended Stay America that is in Bel Air which is a 7 mile drive from APG. It costs about $100 per day (with taxes and everything) when booked for a month. Not sure how far you are from APG, but, if you are over 50 miles I believe you can get a stipend to cover the cost of temporarily moving down there. Last I checked the stipend is about $1000/week. I'm sure that can change from year to year though. Additionally, some Airbnbs give a discount for booking for a long time so I was going to email some Airbnb hosts to see if that is possible.
I'm not quite sure about renting apartments in the area though.
Guest
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby Guest11 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:50 pm

University of Delaware is less than an hour away. Undergrads love to sublet their apartments for the summer. If you're okay with a bit of a drive, I'm sure you could find a student in the area who would be more than happy to sublet you their apartment.
Guest11
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Baltimore and Philidelphia are also only about an hour drive away each.
Guest
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Belcamp is about 15 minutes away from APG, and there are apartments that you can get there for 3 month leases.
Guest
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby Guest_in_APG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:52 pm

I had the same exact problem (the government does a terrible job of finding you a place to live). When I did look for a month to month, I just started calling apartment places in the area to find:

1.) Did they do month-to-month leases or what is the shortest lease they can do?
2.) If I had to sign a longer lease (such as a 6-month lease), what was the fee for breaking the lease?

I then just compiled from there. I lived originally at Holly Circle Apartments on Eastern Court (month-to-month leases but it is near a train station. Wouldn't want to live there permanently due to the noise but good for a few months). There are other little places around that cater to short-term lease people such as yourself. The other comments in this thread are also worthwhile.

This being said, while I'm not willing to do this right now, this could be a lucrative means of making money for if you're a previous SMART scholar to "house" a scholar or two for the summer for reasonable rent.
Guest_in_APG
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby engineergirl » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:43 am

Baltimore was already mentioned. I am a SMART graduate and work at APG, live in Baltimore, and commute about 45 minutes each way. There are about 5 or so in my branch that does this commute, and many more on base. You can find summer sublets from students that go to the 7 or so institutions in the city, or get short term housing from the apartment complexes. You'll have a much better time living in the city than in the surrounding suburbs of APG.
engineergirl
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:16 am

APG offers on-post housing (old barracks converted into apartments) for $600 a month with all utilities paid for except WiFi. The room is one bedroom and comes partially furnished with own bathroom. I currently live here and the commute is 5 minutes if that. Lease is month to month. The only downside is that it's real quiet and I'm probably the youngest person here by like 10 years. Once summer comes along I'm sure it'll fill up with other students.
Guest
 

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby hokie06 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Guest wrote:APG offers on-post housing (old barracks converted into apartments) for $600 a month with all utilities paid for except WiFi. The room is one bedroom and comes partially furnished with own bathroom. I currently live here and the commute is 5 minutes if that. Lease is month to month. The only downside is that it's real quiet and I'm probably the youngest person here by like 10 years. Once summer comes along I'm sure it'll fill up with other students.


Are you currently in Phase 1 or 2 of SMART?
hokie06
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby teent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:19 pm

hokie06 wrote:
Guest wrote:APG offers on-post housing (old barracks converted into apartments) for $600 a month with all utilities paid for except WiFi. The room is one bedroom and comes partially furnished with own bathroom. I currently live here and the commute is 5 minutes if that. Lease is month to month. The only downside is that it's real quiet and I'm probably the youngest person here by like 10 years. Once summer comes along I'm sure it'll fill up with other students.


Are you currently in Phase 1 or 2 of SMART?


I'm in Phase 1. That guest is me right before I finally decided to register today.
teent
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby hokie06 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:29 pm

teent wrote:I'm in Phase 1. That guest is me right before I finally decided to register today.


May I ask who you contacted to sign up for it?
hokie06
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby teent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:28 pm

hokie06 wrote:
teent wrote:I'm in Phase 1. That guest is me right before I finally decided to register today.


May I ask who you contacted to sign up for it?


I'll PM you the phone number.
teent
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Aberdeen Proving Ground - Housing

Postby mecheng » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Can you send me that info, too?
mecheng
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:16 pm


Return to Recipients

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests