When do I talk to my school about Gina I al aid?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

When do I talk to my school about Gina I al aid?

Post by Guest »

I know that we have to reject all federal financial aid from our schools.
When should I do this by? Thanks!

Re: When do I talk to my school about Gina I al aid?

Post by Guest »

*financial aid

DifferentGuest

Re: When do I talk to my school about Gina I al aid?

Post by DifferentGuest »

Guest wrote:I know that we have to reject all federal financial aid from our schools.
When should I do this by? Thanks!
You could ask them how you reject it from now, but at my school (which seems to follow a standard practice) they post financial aid on our students accounts between late-July and mid-August, and we have until the beginning of the semester to go online and accept/decline the awards and aid, or they are accepted by default. We can still decline after that, but it needs to be done in person, and doesn't always stick (One year I went in person, 3 times to decline the same loan, and every time I was just reissued it a few days later. I learned my lesson, and always do it online ahead of time now).

If your school doesn't handle it this way, I would hold off until after SMART issues the Bursar's letters for this year (a letter they give you to submit to your school that basically tells the school to bill SMART directly). You can reject the aid and straighten out the letter at the same time. Might be more efficient. If I recall correctly those letters will show up in the same late-July to mid-August window.