smart response

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

smart response

Post by Guest »

has anybody been getting a response from smart lately? i sent a question a few days ago and still have not heard anything back.

username

Re: smart response

Post by username »

Christina Deckard
SMART Program Manager
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering
4800 Mark Center Dr., Room 17C08
Alexandria, VA 22350

christina.j.deckard.civ@mail.mil
(571) 372-6487

Post by Guest »

username wrote:Christina Deckard
SMART Program Manager
Alexandria, VA 22350

(571) 372-6487
Can this email be used directly?

ProTip

Post by ProTip »

I have been getting responses back and forth all week. Two things to ensure a prompt response:

1) Use their subject line format: "[Agency]- [First Initial] [Last Name] - Subject" (e.g. "Army - J Smith - Acceptance Paperwork Question").

2) Whenever it is true (don't lie because sometimes they loop them in and you don't want to be caught lying) mention your SF is waiting on the answer too. (e.g. "I need to respond to my SF", "my SF is eagerly waiting"). SMART is sometimes okay with making you wait, but as soon as you mention SF, they shift into overdrive to help you ASAP.

guest15p

Post by guest15p »

I would NOT contact the Program Manager directly....trust me. You need to go through the SMART Helpdesk.

Their email is smartparticipant@asee.org and phone number is 202-331-3544 if they don't answer leave them a message they will call you right back they do not have call waiting.

newArmy

Post by newArmy »

I wasn't able to get in touch right away with the helpdesk. I went to smartscholarship.org and found my Service Liaisons contact information and they responded right away. I agree with "guest15p" above I wouldn't jump the gun and contact the Program Manager seems like a quick way to make the wrong person mad. Former military here and you don't just go to the top of the chain of command.

username

Post by username »

newArmy wrote:I wasn't able to get in touch right away with the helpdesk. I went to smartscholarship.org and found my Service Liaisons contact information and they responded right away. I agree with "guest15p" above I wouldn't jump the gun and contact the Program Manager seems like a quick way to make the wrong person mad. Former military here and you don't just go to the top of the chain of command.
Former military here too, and...

Christina Deckard
SMART Program Manager
Alexandria, VA 22350

(571) 372-6487

SMART

Post by SMART »

username wrote:
newArmy wrote:I wasn't able to get in touch right away with the helpdesk. I went to smartscholarship.org and found my Service Liaisons contact information and they responded right away. I agree with "guest15p" above I wouldn't jump the gun and contact the Program Manager seems like a quick way to make the wrong person mad. Former military here and you don't just go to the top of the chain of command.

Christina Deckard
SMART Program Manager
Alexandria, VA 22350

(571) 372-6487

This is the only post by an official source and it will be the last one since this is not an official source. Congratulations everyone! Anyone whos received an award and needs help with anything is required to contact the participant helpdesk. Their email is on you award documents and in the awardee portal. If you cannot get ahold of the participant helpdesk go to your Service Liaison they will be take care of you. Please do not contact the Program Manager directly. There is a code of conduct and under our communication policy you are required to use the helpdesk.

Again their contact is smartparticipant@asee.org 202-331-3544

Have a good weekend everyone.

SMART

Post by SMART »

SMART wrote:
username wrote:

Christina Deckard
SMART Program Manager
Alexandria, VA 22350

(571) 372-6487

This is the only post by an official source and it will be the last one since this is not an official source. Congratulations everyone! Anyone whos received an award and needs help with anything is required to contact the participant helpdesk. Their email is on you award documents and in the awardee portal. If you cannot get ahold of the participant helpdesk go to your Service Liaison they will be take care of you. Please do not contact the Program Manager directly. There is a code of conduct and under our communication policy you are required to use the helpdesk.

Again their contact is smartparticipant@asee.org 202-331-3544

Have a good weekend everyone.

1) There is no way of knowing whether this is an official SMART post (though the typos add weight to the possibility).

2) According to the Handbook, the Communication policy simply indicates the primary form is email and that participants will regularly check for and not spam them.

3) Additionally in the Handbook, the Code of Conduct does mention that participants are to be courteous, honest, and responsible in their communications. Contacting a member of the SMART program via email in no way violates this code.

4) If a participant believes they have exhausted all reasonable approaches to communicating with program management, they have every right, as participant and tax payer, to contact the program manager via the above publicly available information. No need to fear repercussion for doing so. If a participant believes they have incurred such repercussion, they are strongly encouraged to contact an attorney immediately.