Financial Aid

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
CSMajor

Financial Aid

Post by CSMajor »

Hello,

Will SMART revoke all of my federal financial aid for the 2017-2018 school year, or do I have to go through and decline it all?

Guest123

Re: Financial Aid

Post by Guest123 »

CSMajor wrote:Hello,

Will SMART revoke all of my federal financial aid for the 2017-2018 school year, or do I have to go through and decline it all?
You have to decline it. SMART will not do it for you. Or at least I had to.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

How soon can you decline the FAFSA? I'd like to wait until after my facility visit to ensure everything transitions smoothly.

Guest123

Post by Guest123 »

CSMajor wrote:How soon can you decline the FAFSA? I'd like to wait until after my facility visit to ensure everything transitions smoothly.
Depends on your college's financial aid department. At my school, all I had to do was email them before the first week of classes ended to decline any FAFSA money. The reason being that the government doesn't pay out very quick. So you probably have a decent amount of time.

Fulltuition

Post by Fulltuition »

What if I want to keep my financial aid grants in addition to the tuition paid by SMART?

I want SMART to pay for my tuition but I don't want them to give me less money because of my grants, I want them to pay the full so that I can get a refund check from the school for the grants I received in full. WHAT DO I DO THEN , because I don't want SMART to just pay for the leftover balance after grants have been applied I want them to pay the full tuition like they stated.

I am supposed to get about $8,000 in grants -- which do not need to be paid back , I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I GET THAT MONEY AS A REFUND CHECK OR I CAN AT LEAST USE IT FOR HOUSING.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Fulltuition wrote:What if I want to keep my financial aid grants in addition to the tuition paid by SMART?

I want SMART to pay for my tuition but I don't want them to give me less money because of my grants, I want them to pay the full so that I can get a refund check from the school for the grants I received in full. WHAT DO I DO THEN , because I don't want SMART to just pay for the leftover balance after grants have been applied I want them to pay the full tuition like they stated.

I am supposed to get about $8,000 in grants -- which do not need to be paid back , I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I GET THAT MONEY AS A REFUND CHECK OR I CAN AT LEAST USE IT FOR HOUSING.
So when your school sends the tuition amount to SMART tell them NOT to include your grants/scholarships.

Post by Guest »

If it's federal grant money, then you must decline it, no exceptions.

If it's not a federal grant, then there are a couple of things to note when talking to financial aid about getting a refund. First, SMART will query your school for the exact amount of your tuition and fees, not what's left over after grants and scholarships are applied, not after loans have been disbursed, the bill itself. Second, SMART is pretty bad about paying tuition on time. It might not be late for you, but it will undoubtedly be received last by your school in terms of funding towards your account. I would talk to your school's financial aid and find out what they can do on their end. If they know what's coming, it's easier for them to do what you would like rather than guess at what to do.

CSMajor

Post by CSMajor »

Guest wrote:If it's federal grant money, then you must decline it, no exceptions.

If it's not a federal grant, then there are a couple of things to note when talking to financial aid about getting a refund. First, SMART will query your school for the exact amount of your tuition and fees, not what's left over after grants and scholarships are applied, not after loans have been disbursed, the bill itself. Second, SMART is pretty bad about paying tuition on time. It might not be late for you, but it will undoubtedly be received last by your school in terms of funding towards your account. I would talk to your school's financial aid and find out what they can do on their end. If they know what's coming, it's easier for them to do what you would like rather than guess at what to do.
What if our schools put holds on our accounts? If SMART waits until the end of the semester to pay my tuition then I'll have problems getting into the classes they want me in because I'll have account holds.

Post by Guest »

CSMajor wrote:
Guest wrote:If it's federal grant money, then you must decline it, no exceptions.

What if our schools put holds on our accounts? If SMART waits until the end of the semester to pay my tuition then I'll have problems getting into the classes they want me in because I'll have account holds.
I think just email your school. They're going to know smart is paying it not you so it shouldn't be an issue. I would just email your financial aid office or you department.

whydecline

Post by whydecline »

If it's federal grant money, WHY do I have to decline it, its money I earned for having good grades ?

littlehope

Post by littlehope »

Terms & Conditions

Conditions Of Appointment

During phase 1, SMART Scholarship Program Participants may accept funding from sources outside of SMART, including private scholarships, fellowships, grants, and private or federal student loans. SMART Scholarship Program Participants do not accept funding from federal scholarships, fellowships, grants (including the Federal Pell Grant) or other federal funding sources other than SMART with the exception of salary supplements provided by Sponsoring Facilities and Veteran’s Affairs programs (ex: Montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act, the Survivors’ and Dependants’ Educational Assistance Program).

https://smart.asee.org/about/terms_and_conditions

guestttttt

Post by guestttttt »

whydecline wrote:

If it's federal grant money, WHY do I have to decline it, its money I earned for having good grades ?
Because you can't accept multiple forms of federal funding. That's the rules. Don't like it, don't accept the full ride scholarship + guaranteed job in exchange for the $8k in grants.

calm down

Post by calm down »

guestttttt wrote:
whydecline wrote:

Because you can't accept multiple forms of federal funding. That's the rules. Don't like it, don't accept the full ride scholarship + guaranteed job in exchange for the $8k in grants.
What is your problem I was just asking a question, you don't know my financial situation so don't give me such a rude attitude for wanting to be informed about my options

thanks

Post by thanks »

littlehope wrote:Terms & Conditions

Conditions Of Appointment

During phase 1, SMART Scholarship Program Participants may accept funding from sources outside of SMART, including private scholarships, fellowships, grants, and private or federal student loans. SMART Scholarship Program Participants do not accept funding from federal scholarships, fellowships, grants (including the Federal Pell Grant) or other federal funding sources other than SMART with the exception of salary supplements provided by Sponsoring Facilities and Veteran’s Affairs programs (ex: Montgomery GI Bill, Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act, the Survivors’ and Dependants’ Educational Assistance Program).

https://smart.asee.org/about/terms_and_conditions
thanks for the information :)

Post by Guest »

calm down wrote:What is your problem I was just asking a question, you don't know my financial situation so don't give me such a rude attitude for wanting to be informed about my options
Hey, no need to get pissy. They were simply spelling out (repeatedly, from the looks of it) what you really should have read and understood before accepting SMART. You can take the package SMART gives you and obey their rules, or you can take the piddly $8K in grants and owe nothing. When it comes to all things SMART, you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

guest1

Post by guest1 »

Guest wrote:
calm down wrote:What is your problem I was just asking a question, you don't know my financial situation so don't give me such a rude attitude for wanting to be informed about my options
Hey, no need to get pissy. They were simply spelling out (repeatedly, from the looks of it) what you really should have read and understood before accepting SMART. You can take the package SMART gives you and obey their rules, or you can take the piddly $8K in grants and owe nothing. When it comes to all things SMART, you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.
how is wanting to be informed pissy ? , one should never be afraid to ask questions, especially when it impacts their future.

guestttttt

Post by guestttttt »

guest1 wrote:
Guest wrote:
how is wanting to be informed pissy ? , one should never be afraid to ask questions, especially when it impacts their future.
Because you'd already been given the answer multiple times, and you didn't like it, so you kept trying to get a different answer. And when I told you that the answer is X, no if's, and's, or but's, you got offended. Welcome to the real world, the SMART program, and the Department of Defense. Rules are rules, whether or not you like it.

winning

Post by winning »

Because you'd already been given the answer multiple times, and you didn't like it, so you kept trying to get a different answer. And when I told you that the answer is X, no if's, and's, or but's, you got offended. Welcome to the real world, the SMART program, and the Department of Defense. Rules are rules, whether or not you like it.[/quote]

I was never trying to get a different answer, I simply wanted to know why from a verified source , and when I was finally led to the SMART official page I was satisfied (it was a link I hadn't come across my self when I was researching) , and then you had to come in a be rude.I still have other scholarships that I am gonna get and accept along with SMART so its not as if I am losing.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

winning wrote:Because you'd already been given the answer multiple times, and you didn't like it, so you kept trying to get a different answer. And when I told you that the answer is X, no if's, and's, or but's, you got offended. Welcome to the real world, the SMART program, and the Department of Defense. Rules are rules, whether or not you like it.
I was never trying to get a different answer, I simply wanted to know why from a verified source , and when I was finally led to the SMART official page I was satisfied (it was a link I hadn't come across my self when I was researching) , and then you had to come in a be rude.I still have other scholarships that I am gonna get and accept along with SMART so its not as if I am losing.[/quote]

I mean, you're not winning if you're letting him get to you. Just let it go. Some people are curt. Some people are rude. I don't know which he is, but neither do I care. It's super unprofessional to be bickering like middle schoolers.