Phase 2 no job

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
60 days

Phase 2 no job

Post by 60 days »

Graduated in may, still no job available. Any one else still waiting?

Re: Phase 2 no job

Post by Guest »

Just leave the program... you're on your way out if you don't know it.

It happened to me as well, and I went out and got a job, and I don't have to pay anything back, because it's well documented that I did everything in my power to work for the DoD, they just didn't want me.

My sponsoring facility let SMART know about 5 months before my graduation that they would not be able to hire me. There was a hiring freeze in force at my facility with no end in sight. SMART tried to force them to hire me, but SMART actually has very little say in how the sponsor facilities onboard scholars. It's really quite a mess, though some facilities have probably gotten better about it. My facility dug in their heels, SMART dug in their heels, and no one really cared about my life or situation. It was bureaucrats fighting bureaucrats.

Anyway, I got a job somewhere else and was cut off from SMART about 1 month after graduation. (6 months after I should have been onboarded). They just stopped paying the stipend suddenly. I asked if it was because I had recently gotten another job, and they said it was because I had graduated and SMART doesn't pay stipends after graduation.

60 days

Post by 60 days »

Guest wrote:Just leave the program... you're on your way out if you don't know it.

It happened to me as well, and I went out and got a job, and I don't have to pay anything back, because it's well documented that I did everything in my power to work for the DoD, they just didn't want me.

My sponsoring facility let SMART know about 5 months before my graduation that they would not be able to hire me. There was a hiring freeze in force at my facility with no end in sight. SMART tried to force them to hire me, but SMART actually has very little say in how the sponsor facilities onboard scholars. It's really quite a mess, though some facilities have probably gotten better about it. My facility dug in their heels, SMART dug in their heels, and no one really cared about my life or situation. It was bureaucrats fighting bureaucrats.

Anyway, I got a job somewhere else and was cut off from SMART about 1 month after graduation. (6 months after I should have been onboarded). They just stopped paying the stipend suddenly. I asked if it was because I had recently gotten another job, and they said it was because I had graduated and SMART doesn't pay stipends after graduation.
Did you receive an official release from osd so they can not come back to you later for the money? What was your graduation year? I am trying to find out who I contact about a release. Smart or osd. Handbook states can only be released with no pay back by OSD. Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest »

I graduated in December and started last month. I documented slowness and lack of communication by my SF and was paid by Smart through the previous month.

Guest12

Post by Guest12 »

Guest wrote:I graduated in December and started last month. I documented slowness and lack of communication by my SF and was paid by Smart through the previous month.
I am curious about this now... It sounds like you just got a job without getting an official release from OSD and approval of leaving debt free, so SMART or the government can still technically come back to you for repayment. Is this right?

Post by Guest »

Guest12 wrote:
Guest wrote:I graduated in December and started last month. I documented slowness and lack of communication by my SF and was paid by Smart through the previous month.
I am curious about this now... It sounds like you just got a job without getting an official release from OSD and approval of leaving debt free, so SMART or the government can still technically come back to you for repayment. Is this right?
It sounds like he got the job with the government that he was supposed to get, but six months late.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest12 wrote:
It sounds like he got the job with the government that he was supposed to get, but six months late.
Correct. Perhaps G12 was referring to the previous poster.

Post by Guest »

Still no job here either. Getting a bit frustrated calling/emailing my SF, I'm sure my contact is getting tired of me too. But I'll keep harassing until I have a job, a no-contact order, or am released.

Post by Guest »

60 days wrote:
Guest wrote:Just leave the program... you're on your way out if you don't know it.

Did you receive an official release from osd so they can not come back to you later for the money? What was your graduation year? I am trying to find out who I contact about a release. Smart or osd. Handbook states can only be released with no pay back by OSD. Any info you can supply would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I got a letter from OSD. It didn't come easy, I had to call OSD on a weekly basis, and get other people involved. It had to be signed at some pretty high levels, people who are very busy and have a lot on their plate and shouldn't have to worry about scholarship letters, but it got signed about 6 months after I got my full time job. I wasn't going to be the one left without a trump card should OSD decide to start going after ex-scholars. But after seeing the SMART bureaucracy at work, I think you'd be safe without that letter, if you care to chance it.