Determining selection

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Phase0

Determining selection

Post by Phase0 »

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to be selected for a SMART award this year. However, after talking with my POC it seems like I am signing up for something without much information. I understand some of this stems from being unable to discuss projects outside of the lab.

However, during my phone interview my POC was unable to confirm the salary range given to me during my phone interview. How can I gauge the competitiveness of their offer?

During my internship I have to cover cost of travel and housing for 3 months which wont be cheap in a city. Finally, when asked what happens in the scenario of a paper work or security clearance problem before any funding is awarded my POC was unsure if I would accrue any debt in this scenario(technically a program "dismissal" before any funds are awarded).

I want to believe this would be a good thing but there are just so many things I do not know before signing up. Is this normal? Causes for concern? Other good/bad experiences? I just want to know what I am signing up for before anything concrete happens.

Re: Determining selection

Post by guest »

You can assess the facility during your site visit, discuss with them about projects and then you have the option to decline the fellowship if you dont like what you hear/see.

Post by guest »

Phase0 wrote:Hello all,

I was lucky enough to be selected for a SMART award this year. However, after talking with my POC it seems like I am signing up for something without much information. I understand some of this stems from being unable to discuss projects outside of the lab.

However, during my phone interview my POC was unable to confirm the salary range given to me during my phone interview. How can I gauge the competitiveness of their offer?

During my internship I have to cover cost of travel and housing for 3 months which wont be cheap in a city. Finally, when asked what happens in the scenario of a paper work or security clearance problem before any funding is awarded my POC was unsure if I would accrue any debt in this scenario(technically a program "dismissal" before any funds are awarded).

I want to believe this would be a good thing but there are just so many things I do not know before signing up. Is this normal? Causes for concern? Other good/bad experiences? I just want to know what I am signing up for before anything concrete happens.
If you search the forums, you'll see lots of discussion about this. Get something IN WRITING stating your salary and such. Don't expect it to be super competitive, but remember to factor in the tuition and stipend you'll be getting now. Your internship is paid by SMART. BS was $1000/week, which is more than enough. If you haven't been given any money, you shouldn't owe anything. That's common sense. Also, if you expect a security clearance problem, maybe you should rethink if this is the right line of work for you.

Phase0

Post by Phase0 »

guest wrote:You can assess the facility during your site visit, discuss with them about projects and then you have the option to decline the fellowship if you dont like what you hear/see.

This is the first I am hearing of this. My understanding is once I sign the service agreement I am bound to the contract.

Post by guest »

Phase0 wrote:
guest wrote:You can assess the facility during your site visit, discuss with them about projects and then you have the option to decline the fellowship if you dont like what you hear/see.

This is the first I am hearing of this. My understanding is once I sign the service agreement I am bound to the contract.
You will need to submit the site visit report online within 5 days of the site visit. At that time you will have the choice to decline the award
Site visits offer SFs an opportunity to orient the SSPP with the facility and prepare the SSPP for future internships and employment. The site visit is an opportunity for SSPPs to ensure personal suitability with the SF prior to the start of the award. Recruitment SSPPs submit a site visit report to the SSP detailing the SSPP site visit experience within 5 days of the conclusion of the site visit. After completion of the site visit, SSPPs who do not feel comfortable with their placement will have the option to withdraw from the SSP without penalty, via the Site Visit Report.