Looking to change SF

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Anon1

Looking to change SF

Post by Anon1 »

I am looking to change my SF, and was wondering if anyone had this experience. I have seen other posts where it was pointed out that we can leave to go to another federal service. Is it only DOD federal service or can we branch out to DOE or other organizations like NASA? My SF has no interest in me, has made comments about how I am an equal opportunity hire, and I feel will greatly underutilize my skill set. I am looking to switch from one service to the other as well. What is the process?

Also, does anyone have any experience with AMRDEC or SMDC at Redstone Arsenal? What about APG in Maryland?

I just really want to be happy where I am, and I don't see that likely where I am currently set to go. I have interned there and met several personnel, and it doesn't seem like a good fit.

Any and all input appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Looking to change SF

Post by Guest »

What is your skillset and education?

Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

Materials science, Ph.D. Level. I've focused on failure analysis and materials characterization techniques.

I should graduate by the end of this year. Is it even possible to enact a change that quickly?

Post by guest »

Anon1 wrote:Materials science, Ph.D. Level. I've focused on failure analysis and materials characterization techniques.

I should graduate by the end of this year. Is it even possible to enact a change that quickly?
Hey, welcome to the club: my own branch head encouraged me to leave, and so I did.
Best of luck!

Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

Nice! D
guest wrote:
Anon1 wrote:Materials science, Ph.D. Level. I've focused on failure analysis and materials characterization techniques.

Hey, welcome to the club: my own branch head encouraged me to leave, and so I did.
Best of luck!
Nice! If you don't mind me asking, did you transfer somewhere else in DOD or did you go to the private sector?

Post by guest »

Anon1 wrote:Nice! D
guest wrote:

Best of luck!
Nice! If you don't mind me asking, did you transfer somewhere else in DOD or did you go to the private sector?
I'm in a postdoctoral position, academia.

Post by Guest »

I'm at ERDC in Vicksburg. The Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory has a world-class materials branch. They have worked on ultra high strength steels, many types of novel concretes and grouts, nanomaterials, and composites. Unlike many DoD labs, they actually do real research and publish a lot. If you are interested, I will ask which email address or phone number they want me to post on here for you to find out how to submit your resume for them to consider. Because they are a lab, they can do direct hire pretty easily. They are also not in the GS system and a PhD would normally come on board at maybe a high 11 low 12 level in the pay band.

lookingForSFChange

Post by lookingForSFChange »

Anon1 wrote:I am looking to change my SF, and was wondering if anyone had this experience. I have seen other posts where it was pointed out that we can leave to go to another federal service. Is it only DOD federal service or can we branch out to DOE or other organizations like NASA? My SF has no interest in me, has made comments about how I am an equal opportunity hire, and I feel will greatly underutilize my skill set. I am looking to switch from one service to the other as well. What is the process?

Also, does anyone have any experience with AMRDEC or SMDC at Redstone Arsenal? What about APG in Maryland?

I just really want to be happy where I am, and I don't see that likely where I am currently set to go. I have interned there and met several personnel, and it doesn't seem like a good fit.

Any and all input appreciated! Thanks!
My understanding is that it all depends on your liaison. Mine is firm on checking around the same DoD service branch first, before going to to other military or DoD organizations. I doubt they will let you go to DoE or NASA since they aren't even part of the SMART program (check SMART's website for a list of participating facilities). In regards to the process, you need to contact your cohort advisor and SMART liaison to discuss a change of facility with them since they need to get your request to even look at changing facilities approved by the SMART Program Office. From personal experience with looking into a SF change, the change will only be approved if it isn't a match in terms of work & research (i.e. if it truly doesn't match your academics/studies)... your happiness unfortunately isn't typically a reason they will accept (in regards to evaluating your request).