Orientation

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Orientation

Post by Guest »

I just have to say that I wasn't looking forward to having to sit through all the briefings that I knew they were going to have us do, but now I'm actually dreading having to do that while wearing a monkey suit. I actively avoid business attire in its entirety, which Includes "business casual". I would understand having us wear it during our "meet and greets" with the people from our sponsoring organization, but why in the hell do we need to be uncomfortable while sitting and listening to what is sure to be hours of mind numbing death by PowerPoint.

Re: Orientation

Post by Guest »

If someone is sponsoring me to do something that I enjoy, then I'd do a heck of a lot more than wear some dress pants and a button up for five days if they asked me to.

At least that's the way I see it.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

for realz, man up...

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

We didn't need suits for anything. I wore khakis and a dress shirt for everything. Most of the reps wore khakis and polos.

Be sure to bring comfortable clothes too; we were on our own after 6ish for dinner and entertainment.

Chris

Post by Guest »

Was there an email or phone call about orientation??

Current Participant

Post by Current Participant »

Don't fret about Orientation. It's better to show up looking like you own the place than show up looking like some punk kid who works at BestBuy...... Anyway, the Liaisons will wear polos. The SMART Program cohort admins will wear suit-ish outfits. The DoD reps will be in anything and everything from uniforms to polos. Know there will extremely important people in attendance so make sure you have a variety of outfits.

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know when we will find out more information about orientation?

Post by Guest »

Does anyone have a general idea as to the timeline of this? Is it 8-5 daily, or is the Friday a full day?

Post by Guest »

I have heard UNOFFICIALLY that check-in will be Monday afternoon, then the sessions will be all day Tuesday thru Thursday, with maybe an early completion Thursday afternoon. The person also said there might be a group dinner one evening.

dafix

Post by dafix »

Has the actual dates for orientation been announced?

Post by Guest »

dafix wrote:Has the actual dates for orientation been announced?
July 11-15

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
July 11-15
Did they send an official email?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
July 11-15
Did they send an official email?
Nope, it was posted on their webpage. However, being a retention, I know that it'll be those days at the Crystal City Hyatt.

Post by Guest »

I've heard from a person in the SMART office that the dates are 11-14 Jul at the Crystal City Hyatt. Nothing formally announced yet.

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

It's my understanding that SMART is booking rooms for us automatically. Does this mean that once we book our flight on resx, there is nothing else to do besides attend?

Post by Guest »

In addition to booking travel, the SMART team has requested that we send in our itinerary.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Can someone copy paste their email for the instructions to book travel. I cleaned out my email the other day and hit "shif+del" and that permenatly deleted the SMART email... oops. Thanks!

Or email to jm343905@ohio.edu

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I believe that the Orientation Information document states that you only need to submit your itinerary if you DID NOT use RESX to make your travel arrangements.

empty

Post by empty »

I'm sure everyone received the paperwork stating the we should plan on the orientation going 8:00-14:00. I believe I've heard that the orientation typically ends earlier than scheduled. Has anyone else heard this or past recipients can you corroborate/refute this?

My SF is in the area and I am trying to visit the site later that day and just trying to figure out what schedules will actually look like.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

empty wrote:I'm sure everyone received the paperwork stating the we should plan on the orientation going 8:00-14:00. I believe I've heard that the orientation typically ends earlier than scheduled. Has anyone else heard this or past recipients can you corroborate/refute this?

My SF is in the area and I am trying to visit the site later that day and just trying to figure out what schedules will actually look like.
It's not going to end any earlier than that, but you will have a good amount of time to do stuff on your own. I posted about this in the past, but the general concept was that you will want comfortable clothes because you will have free time.

empty

Post by empty »

Chris,
The question was more related to the last day which ends earlier than the previous days anyhow. The question is especially viable given that the other documents state to not to book flights before 15:00, and the orientation is scheduled to end at 14:00. It would seem that 1 hour to leave the hotel, pass TSA, and make a flight at Reagan Intl is slightly optimistic, leading me to believe they've built in substantial "wiggle room" on the last day.