Share the colleges you all attend...

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Share the colleges you all attend...

Post by Guest »

I read that students at public colleges or colleges that are less expensive are accepted more often than students in private more expensive colleges because of the amount of money it costs the government to pay the tuition. Would you all mind giving me an idea of what colleges are represented in the SMART Scholarship accepted students pool? I am really interested in applying, but wonder if the college that I attend makes a difference.

Thanks!

Re: Share the colleges you all attend...

Post by Guest »

There was another topic where people were sharing this info. But SMART maintains a scholar directory at http://smart.asee.org/schools/scholar_directory

It doesn't have this year's recipients in there, yet, but you can get a good idea of the breakdown. The tuition is only one of the key decision making points - clearly if you have three years to go at a public school vs one year at a private school for the same degree, it still might be cheaper to go with the private school.

Re: Share the colleges you all attend...

Post by Guest »

I applied (and received) a 2 year graduate scholarship, and i will be attending a city-university for grad school. during my interview i actually asked that exact question - whether the fact that i will be attending a cheap school has any impact on the acceptance or not. the SMART representative told me that it does not. granted she may have said that so as not to give away any part of the decision making process, but that is what she told me, so taking her words at face value, i would assume that it doesn't matter.

i think research and some work experience are the best bets for winning an award