Additional Degree

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Additional Degree

Post by guest »

Has anyone here had experience requesting another degree from SMART while still in phase 1? I accepted for my BS and am interested in trying to get an extension for a Masters (about 1.5 years). Is there any certain protocol that SMART has for this? And when would the proper time be to apply?

guest1

Re: Additional Degree

Post by guest1 »

Hey guest,

did you ever get anywhere with this? wondering myself.
Thanks.

Answers

Post by Answers »

guest wrote:Has anyone here had experience requesting another degree from SMART while still in phase 1? I accepted for my BS and am interested in trying to get an extension for a Masters (about 1.5 years). Is there any certain protocol that SMART has for this? And when would the proper time be to apply?
Yes. This is possible. If you want to go through your SF they can approve it. If you want to change SF even, you can also apply for for a second degree. Phase 1 or 2 is appopriate to start this, though starting phase 1 is best so you can try to do the degree work consecutively.

First, talk with your service liaison, then see what they have to say. From there, maybe contact your SF depending on if you want to stay with your SF or not.

MoreFreeMoneyPlease

Post by MoreFreeMoneyPlease »

I am going through the same thing, so I wanted to share the protocol that I was told to follow by SMART:

First, talk to your SF and see if they will support you getting the second degree. If you have already done an internship, ask your supervisor (and he/she will contact the people in charge of workforce development). If you haven't done an internship, contact your official POC within your SF (the people in charge of workforce development).

Second, when the application opens in August, apply for a "follow-on" award.

Third, wait while your application goes through the same process as the first time, and hope that nothing changes at your SF.

Fourth, get accepted and proceed with your additional "free" money.