Special Rates and Locality

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Special Rates and Locality

Post by Guest »

Hey all,

I'm wondering if you know if the Special Rates for Electrical/Electronics Engineers (0850/0855) include locality or not. I'm getting mixed messages from the OPM documentation (not surprising) as to if the Special Rates are your base pay that gets locality added on to it or if it's all you get.

Thanks!

Re: Special Rates and Locality

Post by Guest »

You get locality I'd you live in the locality. I'm electronics engineering. Struggling btw.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:You get locality I'd you live in the locality. I'm electronics engineering. Struggling btw.
What do you mean by struggling?

Post by Guest »

I meant not making enough money.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I meant not making enough money.
What branch are you with? Is it specifically being an Electronics engineer that's hurting you?

Post by Guest »

You get either special rates or locality (I.e., XOR). Basically, you should get the higher rate of the two (make sure the higher is reflected in your offer).

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:You get either special rates or locality (I.e., XOR). Basically, you should get the higher rate of the two (make sure the higher is reflected in your offer).
Ok, so I thought that too, but then on OPM's website it says "Special rate supplements are applied to the base General Schedule." which makes me think that special rates affect the base pay that your locality is then added to.