Hiring Freeze?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
guestWhoIsSMH

Hiring Freeze?

Post by guestWhoIsSMH »

Check out #2. It mentions a hiring freeze except for a few categories including "military". Do you all think this includes us or, is this exemption only for enlisted members of the military? http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368 ... t-100-days

Re: Hiring Freeze?

Post by Guest »

Military is exempt:

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

YouGuestIt

Post by YouGuestIt »

Guest wrote:Military is exempt:

* SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
Are DoD research labs considered military?

Guest1234

Post by Guest1234 »

YouGuestIt wrote:

Doubtful. Pretty sure military means uniformed personnel.

TheOP

Post by TheOP »

Guest1234 wrote:
YouGuestIt wrote:

Doubtful. Pretty sure military means uniformed personnel.
This is what I was asking. And I tend to agree. I think the exemption is for those in uniform. Another scholar mentioned (offline) that we are "under contract" so we will be fine. I don't think that's accurate. I remember that some documentat said that we are required to work for our SF based on the facilities ability to hire. What do you all think?

Post by Guest »

My facility went under a hiring freeze the year before my hiring.

I ended up leaving the program and not actually completing phase 2.

Guesttt

Post by Guesttt »

Guest wrote:My facility went under a hiring freeze the year before my hiring.

I ended up leaving the program and not actually completing phase 2.
Are you subject to reimburse SMART? I'm sure many of us are interested in more details.

Post by Guest »

No. despite the threats to the contrary by smart program office, I was not responsible for repayment.

Requires you to stand up to them if you are indeed in the right, but it was a stresssful, scary process fighting them.

I'm clear now.

gotAnAnswer

Post by gotAnAnswer »

So, I asked about this. The new SMART office said that SMART has hiring authority that supersedes hiring freezes.

Post by Guest »

gotAnAnswer wrote:So, I asked about this. The new SMART office said that SMART has hiring authority that supersedes hiring freezes.
Don't spike the football yet. It's true that SMART possesses a super powerful hiring authority.. but if the facility doesn't want to exercise it, the SMART office does not have the line of authority it needs to force the issue. Recognize it is entirely in the facilities hands, and sometimes those facilities say the hiring freeze trumps all hiring actions.

The SMART office tried to tell me that as well, and it didn't work out, still.

SSPP1

Post by SSPP1 »

Any word on how the recent executive order to freeze hiring of federal civilian employees might affect those of us who are about to graduate and transition into Phase 2?

Employee

Post by Employee »

If you actually read the executive order the hiring freeze is only temperary until the can evaluate things, they estimate 90 days. There are also exceptions for national security and public health. There hasn't been any declaration of civilian DoD employees fall into all the national security category. They are figuring it out. But again the hiring freeze is only supposed to last about 90, nothing out of the ordinary for a new president taking office.

Post by Guest »

Actually, according to (https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 5745068fe5), the ban does apply to civilian DoD employees, unless the position is "necessary to meet national security...responsibilities" (actual text of the executive order can be found https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/p ... eeze/2157/).

While it is likely that the ban won't last much more than 90 days, the order actually states that a long-term plan needs to be recommended by OPM and OMB within 90 days and that the ban will expire once this plan is implemented. It does not state any time limit on the time from the recommendation of this plan to its implementation, however.

my2cent

Post by my2cent »

The order also says "Contracting outside the Government to circumvent the intent of
this memorandum shall not be permitted."

The purpose of SMART is to INCREASE the size of the federal workforce. We wouldn't be contractors but, would hiring us be circumventing the intent of the order? If so, wouldn't that make hiring us "not permitted"?

Post by Guest »

Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:33 PM
To: SMART Participant
Subject: SMART - Hiring Freeze Update

Dear Phase 1 SMART Scholar,

There is currently a temporary hiring freeze in effect for DoD. For those who were to be hired in the next weeks or month, there may be a slight delay in getting you hired; however, this does not dissolve your service commitment requirement. SMART will continue to pay your stipend while you are not employed. We expect to get further guidance in the coming weeks on if and how the freeze will affect SMART and will keep you informed.

Regards,

SMART Program Office

American Society for Engineering Education

Attn: SMART Scholarship Program

1818 N St. NW

Suite 600

Washington, DC 20036

Web: https://smart.asee.org

Email: smartparticipant@asee.org

Telephone: 202-331-3544

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:From: SMART Participant <smartparticipant@asee.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 4:33 PM
To: SMART Participant
Subject: SMART - Hiring Freeze Update

Dear Phase 1 SMART Scholar,

There is currently a temporary hiring freeze in effect for DoD. For those who were to be hired in the next weeks or month, there may be a slight delay in getting you hired; however, this does not dissolve your service commitment requirement. SMART will continue to pay your stipend while you are not employed. We expect to get further guidance in the coming weeks on if and how the freeze will affect SMART and will keep you informed.

Regards,

SMART Program Office

American Society for Engineering Education

Attn: SMART Scholarship Program

1818 N St. NW

Suite 600

Washington, DC 20036

Web: https://smart.asee.org

Email: smartparticipant@asee.org

Telephone: 202-331-3544
Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like SMART doesn't really know what's going on either and are just trying to cover themselves for any outcome.

anonymous2444

Post by anonymous2444 »

SMART will continue to pay your stipend while you are not employed.
totally fine with them paying my stipend indefinitely lol

Post by Guest »

anonymous2444 wrote:
Be very careful. I was in this boat in 2011, and SMART suddenly stopped the stipend without warning, even though dod had not hired me.

Post by guest »

anonymous2444 wrote:
This isn't a good thing. In the private sector Ph.D.s can make six figures. Being in limbo making grad student money, unable to take other, high paying jobs while the government figures itself out will suck.

Post by Guest »

All,

I've been in contact with my SF and I have some information for fellow SMART recipients who are entering Phase II at the moment, although it would be prudent to check with your SF's HR and see what does and doesn't apply to you:

First, I can confirm that SMART hires are affected by the freeze. Security investigations can and are proceeding as normal (since it is technically not part of the hiring process). A formal offer cannot be made after security has given its blessing during the freeze.

Second, SMART can't do jack at the moment except continue to pay us and perform admin duties, like switching SFs. Your individual SF is responsible for you getting hired at this point. While the freeze is not their fault, they are the only ones who can do anything about it.

Third, there is a waiver system for freezes. While normal hires, like fresh graduates and those transitioning from private to public are tough to defend, SMART students have plenty of reasons to make a case for hiring (DoD paying for school, obligation to work for the DoD, etc...). MY SF stated that when this has happened in the past to SMART recipients entering Phase II, they immediately start preparing waiver paperwork as soon as they hear "hiring freeze". Furthermore, SMART recipients have never been denied.

Fourth, like a security clearance or hiring paperwork, getting a waiver is a convoluted process with no real set timeline. It happens when it happens. However, based on what I have gleaned from talking with my SF, waivers appear to be worth the trouble since they bother to go through with them rather than wait a freeze out.

If your SF is serious about making sure you enter Phase II successfully, they will get a waiver for you. Call your SF and confirm this. If they are not going to get one for you, then take it as a huge red flag, and go elsewhere. Talk to SMART about your options. All of us have made commitments to the DoD and are required to honor those regardless of what happens in our lives. SMART should help you honor those commitments, and if they and your SF cannot accommodate you, then do as another recipient on this thread has done, and get out while you can.

Question

Post by Question »

Just read an article saying the head of the OMB is still waiting to be confirmed. This is the person responsible for coming up with the plan to shrink the federal workforce. I'm wondering how this impacts things, especially the timeline.

update

Post by update »

Check out the link below. This is from February 1 even though I am just seeing it. A key passage:
That memo also clarified that confirmed job offers from the government as of noon Jan. 22 with a start date before Feb. 22 would be honored — but if the reporting date was Feb. 22 or later, or was indefinite, agencies may revoke the offer.

But, it also says:
The guidance says the freeze does not apply to:
Time-restricted appointments in fellowship or professional exchange type programs.

Does SMART fall into this category?

forgot

Post by forgot »

update wrote:Check out the link below. This is from February 1 even though I am just seeing it. A key passage:
That memo also clarified that confirmed job offers from the government as of noon Jan. 22 with a start date before Feb. 22 would be honored — but if the reporting date was Feb. 22 or later, or was indefinite, agencies may revoke the offer.

But, it also says:
The guidance says the freeze does not apply to:
Time-restricted appointments in fellowship or professional exchange type programs.

Does SMART fall into this category?
Forgot the link
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 0#comments

countdown

Post by countdown »

The 90 day period to come up with a plan is up in either late April or May or early June depending on if you include/exclude weekends and holidays. Hopefully we'll know something but, I believe there will be a delay