Going below full time status

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Info1

Going below full time status

Post by Info1 »

Just a little bit of information in case anyone goes below full time status for any reason.

I had an unusual situation in which I was not able to continue with a class, but dropping it would mean going below full time status. I called the SMART poc since this is a violation of rules and explained my situation, as well as the fact that my graduation date would remain unchanged.

I explained that due to my situation it was not possible to continue with the class and if it would be okay for one semester to be below full time status.

SMARTS Answer:
You need to stay in the class.

If anyone has an issue related to full time status don't bother calling SMART - just try to work it out with your school.

kbl2017

Re: Going below full time status

Post by kbl2017 »

So one of two things may work in your favor.

1) if you aren't on probation, don't worry about it and just drop anyway. If it'll drop your gpa below 3.0 or something you're gonna go on probation anyway!!! Probation is fine as long as you don't mess up the next semester.

2) If it's after the end of add drop you may still say full time on your transcript since it'll be a W for a grade instead of just gone. Check that with your school!

Ran into the not full time issue last semester.

argentum2f

Post by argentum2f »

For other grad students wondering about this...

My department only requires 2 credits a semester for a grad studentto be considered 'full time', since we're presumably working full time on research. The University, however, does not. I just had the department secretary send SMART an official letter stating that I am 'full time' so I didn't have to worry about my status on the transcript. That has worked so far.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

argentum2f wrote:For other grad students wondering about this...

My department only requires 2 credits a semester for a grad studentto be considered 'full time', since we're presumably working full time on research. The University, however, does not. I just had the department secretary send SMART an official letter stating that I am 'full time' so I didn't have to worry about my status on the transcript. That has worked so far.
That is a good idea for my future semesters.... I was told 2 classes a semester was fine for my major, but the university transcript said I was part time. SMART was not happy. lol

theydontcare

Post by theydontcare »

kbl2017 wrote:
argentum2f wrote:For other grad students wondering about this...

That is a good idea for my future semesters.... I was told 2 classes a semester was fine for my major, but the university transcript said I was part time. SMART was not happy. lol
I literally had a major medical issue last semester where I wanted to drop one of my courses such that I could catch up on my others after missing 1.5 weeks of class. SMART program office (not LMI/ASEE, not your contact for your service, but the head honchos) literally does not care what the reason is. I was told, verbatim "as far as they're concerned, if you're not full time you shouldn't be in the program." such BS. what about students w/ disabilities too? I know a ton of folks approved for p/t course loads but I bet SMART would tell them off, too (since they aren't an institution, they probably aren't bound by ADA or anything)...

I fortunately was able to pass, but my GPA took a major hit. :(

TipForOthers

Post by TipForOthers »

theydontcare wrote:I literally had a major medical issue last semester where I wanted to drop one of my courses such that I could catch up on my others after missing 1.5 weeks of class. SMART program office (not LMI/ASEE, not your contact for your service, but the head honchos) literally does not care what the reason is. I was told, verbatim "as far as they're concerned, if you're not full time you shouldn't be in the program." such BS. what about students w/ disabilities too? I know a ton of folks approved for p/t course loads but I bet SMART would tell them off, too (since they aren't an institution, they probably aren't bound by ADA or anything)...

I fortunately was able to pass, but my GPA took a major hit. :(
If a situation like this happens to anyone in the future. I recommend speaking to your academic advisor or department chair. They often will have the leniency to make an exception to standard university policies and can instruct the registrar to log you as full-time despite the normal credit requirements. Similar thing happened to a friend of mine, and their advisor got them sorted out so that they could drop the class, but remain full-time.

guest3000400

Post by guest3000400 »

Sometimes your school allows you to drop a class and add back research hours in return even past the drop add date to remain full time. I would try to work with the school for sure. SMART office just cares about their rules and checking the boxes and not about the student's personal situation or providing the best training for the student. See if you can get a letter from your advisor or someone in the department or school to provide to the SMART office.