Service agreement

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
lfrost

Service agreement

Post by lfrost »

In the service agreement, I found this interesting clause, and I was wondering if anyone who has actually gone through the program can speak for this (or anyone who happens to know anything more about it).

"I expressly agree that, I am neither entitled to nor expect any present or future salary, wages, or other benefits for the internship."

Is this saying we may or may not get paid for working? It was my understanding that the scholarship would provide the 25k stipend in addition to wages earned.

Re: Service agreement

Post by guest »

I saw the same thing! There's also a disclaimer
I understand that the SSP and this Agreement is subject to the availability of funds...
Does that mean if they do give us a salary offer or stipend it could be cut?

Post by Guest »

Yes, they can cut the pay (And still make you do the internship).

They attempted to do so in 2012.

Post by Guest »

Its a clause they throw in in the military contract too. Basically, when you see the budget freezes come up(like when some gov employees had a few forced days off last year but vital assets had to work pay free), they dont have to pay. not rare, but uncommon. As long as congress gets budget signed on time you will be okay.