Interview

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Kleff

Interview

Post by Kleff »

So I did have two interviews from different SF last month. I got an email from one of them that I have been selected as one of their proposed SMART scholarship recipients. I am still in shock and surprise so would like to know from past recipients whether this is a SURE indicator that I will get an award or not? Or do I have to go through another vigorous interview session with SMART office again? Please help with advice.. Thanks

Re: Interview

Post by Guest »

Oh my goodness CONGRATULATIONS! I am a current applicant, not a past winner. Did they mention when the official results would be announced?

Post by Guest »

I am in the same boat as you -- I know of two labs who are listing me as one of their choices, but I have no idea how much of a guarantee this is in terms of actually getting an award.

Post by Guest »

It's not a guarantee, but I don't think that it has ever been mentioned on this forum that someone was recommended, but did not get an award. That said, most of the time, you aren't told that you have been recommended.

With the services running their own stuff now, maybe the site knows exactly how many people they get.

Kleff

Post by Kleff »

Guest wrote:It's not a guarantee, but I don't think that it has ever been mentioned on this forum that someone was recommended, but did not get an award. That said, most of the time, you aren't told that you have been recommended.

With the services running their own stuff now, maybe the site knows exactly how many people they get.
Oh ok. From your own perspective or experience, how likely is that to happen? I mean being told by a SF that you have been selected but didn't get an award.

Post by Guest »

I guess pretty low, but I'm from when SMART decided everything, and I know the services definitely asked for more people than they got. Maybe it's better now because it's all less centralized???

If you really want me to make up a number, I'd say 75% chance of an offer.

discouraged

Post by discouraged »

I was one of the above that was chosen by the SF and did not receive the award. I spoke with my interviewer at the SF and he said he would let me know what happened. Until then, just waiting and hoping that maybe I'll get a second round offer :/

Post by guest »

It also has to do with whether the SF gets funded for that position. They might be interviewing but it doesn't mean that they'll actually get funded by SMART. So, they might have picked you, but it wasn't a guaranteed award by SMART.

Post by guest »

I think the chances of being recommended by a SF and not getting an award is a lot more common than most think. I'm also one of those who was chosen and recommended at the SF but wasn't offered the scholarship. Hopefully they'll send out emails regarding 2nd round offers soon :/