Chances of being accepted as a freshman applicant?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
smyers840

Chances of being accepted as a freshman applicant?

Post by smyers840 »

I'm applying for this scholarship, and I'm a freshman in college. I'm wondering if I have any kind of chance at getting this scholarship.

A few details about myself academically. I'm pursuing a BS in Biophysics and Mathematics (double major), and am advanced mathematically compared to all the other freshman. I am currently taking Calc III, and next semester I'm taking two 300-level courses (Linear Algebra and Applied Combinatorics). If I do well on all of my finals, I should finish with a 3.8-3.93 GPA for the semester. In high school, my final unweighted GPA was 3.9, despite the fact that I started off at a 3.66 after 8th grade. I showed a lot of improvement junior and senior year, and also took 7 AP classes during high school, including 5 senior year. In terms of standardized testing, I did well. I had a 32 composite ACT plus Writing. I also had a 2080 superscore SAT (my best individual test was a 2050). CR score was only a 620, so it is bringing my score down. Math was 740 on highest test, writing 720. On the 2050 test, CR and writing were the scores listed, math was 710.

I have two references from current professors (Calc III and Bio), and one is from my AP Physics teacher from senior year. I trust him to write a good letter for me, but will having a high school teacher hurt me? I came in with 23 credits, so after this semester I will be a sophomore.

I am involved in multiple academic clubs on campus. I am also a staff writer for the newspaper and a member of the concert band. I have service work from a freshman program with my university, as well as from a club working with special need students at my high school.

With all of that said, do I have any semblance of a chance at being accepted?