Best type of References

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Josh UofU

Best type of References

Post by Josh UofU »

I am filling out my application for 2015 and was wondering what type of references I should use. I have 2 references who are academic but I was wondering if I should have a employer reference also.

123EEforME

Re: Best type of References

Post by 123EEforME »

I used all academic sources, but I would say the most important factor is how well your sources know you.

RF_EE

Re: Best type of References

Post by RF_EE »

When I applied, I had my supervisor from my previous internship write one, and my Department Head (a Chief Warrant Officer 4) write the other. I figured that was the best plan because the one from my previous internship spoke directly to my skills as an engineer, as well as my desire and drive to learn, and the one from my Department Head spoke to my ability to integrate seamlessly with the way the military operates, even though I wasn't working on engineering. Both of those are crucial skills for success in a career with DoD, so I believe it helped considerably.

tl;dr: Get letters that don't just talk about academics, but also your ability to work within the way DoD operates.