FINALIST!!!!

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

FINALIST!!!!

Post by Guest »

WOOOOOOOT I made it!!!!

Re: FINALIST!!!!

Post by Guest »

did anyone else get an email/letter?

any retention employees get their letters yet?

Post by guest »

this best not be a troll

Post by Guest »

Lol what did your email look like? I hope it's not false hope! I'm so vulnerable right now with respect to this award.

Post by Guest »

Look at the date you fools....we've been trolled methinks.

Post by Guest »

I agree, if it were legit the poster would have gave more details, such as "i just got it, it came in five minutes ago, it says...."

So i say, April fools

Post by Guest »

It wasn't even 8 am on the west coast when that was posted-and the SPO is on the west coast...

Post by Guest »

Yeah but award notifications come from ASEE which is in DC i beleive, east coast.

Post by Guest »

I swear on all that I can this is not a troll, April fools prank or any other fake. I've been so on edge waiting for this I would never do that to some one else. This is what I got at 7:51 this morning along with 9 pdf attachments. The award announcement itself, a release to use my image name, or voice, and declaration for federal employment, a w-9 tax form, a direct deposit form, an educational work plan, the smart handbook, and a privacy act statement. I will answer any questions anyone has. Again good luck to everyone.

Dear My Name, <--- not what it said but I'm paranoid

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a scholarship under the Science, Mathematics, And Research for Transformation Program. Please find attached important information regarding your award offer. Please pay close attention to the due dates for requested materials.

Again, congratulations on your award.

ASEE SMART PROGRAM TEAM
C/O American Society For Engineering Education
1818 N Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, D.C. 20036
E-mail: smart@asee.org

Post by guest »

Congratulations are in order. There's at least enough funding for one scholarship...

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:did anyone else get an email/letter?

Retention employee here. No word yet. Anxiety is increasing.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:did anyone else get an email/letter?

Retention employee here. No word yet. Anxiety is increasing.

ok...that is comforting.

Are you going to a phd? do you know if the years spent doing your phd count toward your years of service? i was hoping to retire after 25 years and not have to tack on 5 extra

different dod

Post by different dod »

You're still an employee and still getting paid by your facility (hopefully), so it still should count. I'm a masters applicant for 4 semesters (16 months). The scholarship awardees here may get to as well. I bet all this is answered out in monterrey. The co-op students were different, they could count time for leave purposes but not for retirement (i imagine they have a mechanism to pay in).

different dod

Post by different dod »

Correction, they didn't have a mechanism to pay in.

Post by Guest »

now, the question, i wonder how long it takes to send out 250 emails. Or will i be checking my email till 6 pm lol.

Post by Guest »

So only one person got an email? That seems suspect. I would think they would send them out a little faster than that.

Post by guest »

I mean c'mon not ALL 250-300 finalists probably know about this forum....

Retention candidate

Post by Retention candidate »

Hey guys, I'm a retention candidate with USACE and I just got the email at 4:15pm EST. It has 8 attachments. Good luck!!

PS I am really interested in the comment above. If my status is still a coop, and it's staying that way because I'm going to grad school and they're not going to hire me directly just for 2 months. So they are having me convert my coop to a coop with the grad school so I can stay in the system. Does that mean my time isn't counting towards retirement? (in EBIS I do have retirement age and I've been contributing to FERS and TSP) If this is the only issue then I'm okay, I just don't want to run into trouble down the line.

Post by guest »

I was also offered an award. Congratulations to everyone who got an award. Thank you to everyone to posted on this board through the process it was very helpful to everyone.

Post by Guest »

Congratulations to all of those who received an award. Would those of you who received an award mind also posting your year( ugrad, grad) and major. I am interested, as I think others are, to see what were some popular disciplines. I am interested to see if anyone in the biological sciences found a place as I am a biochemistry major and not selected, though I haven't officially received my letter yet. Congratulations again to all of you selected.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Hey guys, I also received the award email. I received it at 3:33 pm eastern. I was awarded a 3 year scholarship to receive my BS in electrical engineering (I'm a freshman undergrad), I never reived a phone interview (from either SMART or the place that picked me), and my email has 8 attachments. Feel free to ask questions!

Time to go take a physics exam... :-\

maxwellUT

Post by maxwellUT »

this might not be an appropriate question, but for those award recipients working for a PhD, how much did they offer you as an annual stipend? I'm really curious.

haven't heard from them yet.

winrar

Post by winrar »

I am a Sophomore undergrad in Computer Science and won

Post by Guest »

So I got a call from the person who interviewed me (for the lab), and he told me me that I've been awarded it! One of my grad office mates got the email earlier, but I still haven't received it. It's a big load off my shoulders to hear this, but I'm still anxiously waiting for the email since it's the official notification and it has all of my paperwork.

Also I'm a first year graduate student, and I'm working towards my Ph.D. in aerospace engineering.

Post by guest »

Matt wrote:Hey guys, I also received the award email. I received it at 3:33 pm eastern. I was awarded a 3 year scholarship to receive my BS in electrical engineering (I'm a freshman undergrad), I never reived a phone interview (from either SMART or the place that picked me), and my email has 8 attachments. Feel free to ask questions!

Time to go take a physics exam... :-\
So you did not receive an email from the Smart Office last week?
That's strange.